Wedding Party

Pet as a ring bearer...Have you done it? Good? Bad?

I was considering using my border collie as my ringbearer for my wedding. She is a big part of my life and I would really like her to be in my wedding plus I don't know anyone else I would use.  Have any of you ever done this? Do have any suggestions? Did it go well? Any horror stories? I would also appreciate any advice on things of this nature I haven't thought of yet.  Thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pet as a ring bearer...Have you done it? Good? Bad?

• You don't need a RB, so don't do it just because you don't have someone else to use.here are my concerns:a) guests with allegiesb) guests with fears of dogsc) the poor dog having to sit there and go through all of thatd) who would take care of the dog after the ceremony?
  • I think it's something to really consider carefully. Pros:* it's cute* you're honoring and sharing a beloved member of your family with your guestsCons:* pets can get scared in front of large crowds and do things they normally wouldn't (bark, pee/poop, bite)* if it's outdoors, there's a chance the pet could get away and get lost or hurt* many venues do not allow pets, especially churches/temples* some people are very afraid of dogs; or you never know who's going to inappropriately pet the dog (like how some small kids tug on their tails or get too close to their faces), or who's going to feed the dog table scraps* what happens to the dog before/after the ceremony? It's not fair to bring a pet to the wedding and then leave it tied up or in a crate all day.* who's in charge of the pet? You'll be too busy all day, and you don't want to put a family member to work watching your dog and transporting it back to your home or a kennel afterward when they could otherwise be enjoying the party. I don't think it's an across-tbe-board "Don't Do It!" situation, but I think there are a lot of situations where it just wouldn't work out properly (moreso than there are situations where it'd be ideal to have your dog there).
  • plus I don't know anyone else I would use.And you don't need a ring bearer, either, so it's not like you'd have to round up some kid if you decide against the dog. Just go without. Your marriage will not be invalid if you don't have a ring bearer. I'm having no children at my wedding whatsoever.
  • 1. Are you 100% sure that none of your human guests are allergic? Will you basically be able to deal with humans having to walk out of your wedding or sneezing due to allergic reactions 2. are you 100% ok with your dog under stress of crowds peeing on your wedding dress 3. Are you 100% ok with your guests forever talking about you are one of those people who cross the line past normal love of pets to wierd dog people and that you are slighty wacky in that you can not the difference between dogs and kids 4. Take a picture of your dog with you and Fi and put that on the program keep the dog in a kennel for the day
  • Requiring an animal to sit still and perfectly behaved throughout a wedding ceremony is a recipe for disaster, IMHO. Even a well-behaved one. Did we learn nothing from the Brady Bunch? Dogs at weddings are a crapshoot. And while you love your dog and she's a huge part of your life (and I totally relate to this), not everyone will find it endearing. Most people will not. And ditto pp about who takes care of it during/after the ceremony.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • I have been to several weddings lately where this has been done. I would say it would depend on a few things:1. The temperament of your dog. If it's a very well trained and friendly dog then you would probably be fine for the ceremony. I have seen this done at least 4 times and no guests have had issues with fear/allergies since they are not going up to the dog. 2. The biggest factor in my opinion is the venue. IF the dog is not allowed at the reception (which most are not) is it close enough for someone to run your dog home? I went to one wedding where the dog had to sit in the car for the whole reception because it was to far for anyone to take him home without missing anything important, which to me was not okay. 3. If you do decide to have the dog in the wedding, make sure someone is designated as responsible for the dig from the time they arrive to the time they are taken home. (or if they stay who is going to feed them, watch them, pick up their poop, etc) Then you don't have to worry about it when you are trying to enjoy your day. I don't think it a blanket bad idea, I just think you have to plan a ahead for the dogs needs and make sure your dog can handle it and it would be fine.
  • I love dogs. We have dogs as pets. But they are pets. And as such, don't belong in a WP. You don't NEED a ring bearer. My DD was married in July, and the best man held the rings. Easy and done. You also need to check with your ceremony venue. The church in which I work will not allow animals in weddings. I can't imagine any reception hall where food is prepared and served allowing pets other than service dogs allowed.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Thanks for the input everyone.                 I know that there will a lot to consider and I have already figured out where I want my wedding to be and if I can get it booked then it will just be a couple miles from home so the dog doesn't have to come until right before and can leave right after the ceremony.        Plus it is at a vineyard in one of their fields over looking a pond so it is fairly dog friendly. No food around, nothing to mess up because it is only grass.           None of the people on the list are allergic unless they hide it really well.         My dog is fairly well behaved, but that is something I would be working with her for more and more as time goes by. She is super friendly, but can be a jumper.  I think other than that my biggest concern is actually the black dog fur and I am already planning on having tons of lint rollers around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Even if home is close, who is going to take her and pick her up? who is going to hold her during the ceremony?All things that need to be considered. GL
  • I agree with the PP that it can turn into a disaster when you least expect it. We have a FG but no ring bearer, and I don't think anyone will even notice. :)
  • Everyone who knows our dog has asked if she's going to be in the wedding - yes, we are crazy dog people who think she's our child, it's ok. But while I think she would be well-behaved, I just don't think she'd have fun sitting there with us just a few feet away and not paying any attention to her. I don't know if your dog would feel the same, but ours will have a better time hanging out with FILs' dog at home.
  • I was just in a wedding where the bride had her two dogs serve as ring bearers. They had someone walk the dogs down the aisle, hand them off (one to a bridesmaid, one to a groomsman), and sit down. Her job was to get the dogs if they acted up. They had the dog-sitter bring the dogs to the ceremony site and take them home after the ceremony was over. Also, (under supervision of a vet) the dogs were given mild sedetives, like they are for traveling. The bride emphasised to everyone, if they needed to remove the dogs, or  if it wouldn't work, it was ok. It turned out really cute, but A LOT of thought and preparation, as well as just in case situations. So, if it is important to you, and you think you can plan out for all contingencies, go for it.

• Personally, I'd rather have a dog in the wedding party than any children.  Yeah, I'm gonna get it for that comment, but that's how I feel.

If your dog sat with your parents or someone who would pet him, he'd probably be ok.  I'd just be worried about fur on your dress, like you said.

As long as you don't mind people feeding him scraps of food at the reception, he'd be a lot of fun there.  No matter how dressed up I am, I'd love to play with a dog.  My best friend had an informal reception at her parents house and we all loved having the dog around, and the dog was really happy too. :)
  • There's a saying in acting: never work with children or animals.  A wedding is nothing if not a giant theatrical production, therefore this is advice to be heeded.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I am a crazy dog person. So this comes from someone who throws her dogs birthday parties, and knows that dogs can almost be like children. ALMOST. I just think there are too many unknowns when trying to coordinate a beloved pet into a wedding ceremony or any large function.

I am not saying tis a terrible idea, but just carefully consider the what ifs when making this decision. A selfish part of me would love my dogs in my wedding, but Practical, rational me knows that would never happen. You have to worry about who handles the dog before the ceremony, what happens if the person on charge of the pu accidentally lets him get away? what happens if there is a doggie accident?

I think if you are very confident in your dogs behavior and he is VERY well trained, it might work.

I think in theory its a cute idea, but in practical application, it leaves too much to chance.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards