Wedding Party
Options

Wedding Newsletter

I am unfamiliar with this concept, so please help me out. I keep seeing people post about a wedding newsletter, but I don't understand the need to go to that much trouble. Here is how it works in my head: 1-My FI and I plan a wedding. 2- We sent STDs to let people know about the date and accomodations, etc, so they can think about whether they want to/can attend. 3-We send out invitations closer to the event date with more specific info such as driving directions, link to website, hotel #, etc. 4- We communicate with our wedding party regarding basic timelines (ceremony time, photo time, getting ready time) and attire. Since my party is my sisters, and FI's is his best friend, most of this is done as needed over the phone, email, etc. Big #5- People show up and we have a great time and they are hopefully pleasantly surprised at the ceremony and reception we have planned. In my head, it seems a bit selfish to think that everyone, including the BP, need to have regular newsletters on the planning. Again, I assume that is what the news letters are for. I am pretty sure they don't care beyond the points of communique' I described above. Am I totally off the mark? Is this maybe only used for bigger bridal parties? None of my BP is in town, but I forsee wasting my time to send them planning updates so they can validate my decisions. BTW, I am in no way saying that people that see a need for this are selfish, or any other derogatory thing, I just want some guidance so I can understand the rationale.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Wedding Newsletter

• Options
    I don't understand why email wouldn't suffice. If people ask for templates I usually recommend an email. I think there's a certain connotation w/ a wedding newsletter that isn't there with an email, even if you're conveying the same information. It seems like they're trying to emphasize that this is about The Wedding and making it a big deal. Not my cup of tea. But whatev. It's not a crime.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I think the whole thing sounds somewhat pretentious. I'm not really sure why we would need regular updates. Just tell me when and where and I'm good to go. I mean, sure, cute details and stories are nice... but you can call me or e-mail me directly and tell me. I don't need the read about whether or not you decided to go with lilies or roses in the headlines.
  • Options
    I sent a string of emails during the planning asking about things like dresses, dates for shopping, who wanted hair/make-up, itenerary, travel info, whatever.  I consider those my newsletters.  I think that's normal.  But like anything, I think there about people that take the concept way too far, and layout some kind of insane newsletter out of the whole thing.  I get an E newsletter from a local professional organization every month.  I imagine it would look something like that, with a note from the president's desk in the bottom right.
  • Options
    I meant to say I (don't) foresee wasting my time.. But I'm glad I am not alone in my thinking on this. Thanks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I might be too late for this thread...but I have a related question.  I also think newsletters sound over the top and wasn't planning on doing one. But I am wondering how many emails to BMs is normal.  I haven't sent any yet (I have 10 months to go)...but I was planning to send one in the next couple months about BM dresses and rehearsal dinner, and another closer to the wedding with timeline details.  I was trying to avoid annoying them with emails (and wedding talk in general), but I also don't want them to feel out of the loop.  Two of them recently (and separately) told me they felt that way.  So I'm just wondering what's normal. Thanks!
  • Options
    I probably sent three or four. One about dress shopping, one about the rehearsal/RD, one about the wedding day itself, and another to ask whether they were bringing dates so I could include the dates' names on the invites (a couple were single at the time). There might have been others but I can't think of them if there were. They sent emails about the bach party and other things, too. And we obviously sent each other emails about other things (we went through a phase for awhile where we were sending each other brain teasers). I personally am at a loss to see what else you would need to send emails about that are wedding-related, unless you're updating them on the minutiae of planning. Which some people are really into.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    i don't understand the purpose of a newsletter, my BP consists of people i speak to on a regular basis... they are my closest friends, hence the reason they are my BP.  i don't think i need to send an e-mail telling them i had a meeting with the florist. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • Options
    I sent a lot of emails.  I probably shouldn't have, but most of my friends are like me and spend the whole day staring at a computer. -Names & contact info right after we asked everyone (Don't ask me why I thought they needed that)-We booked venue, date and time are set for X, rehearsal will be Y-Dress shopping dates (right after calling everyone for budget/specs)-Here's the dress A & B liked when we when we went shopping, what do you think?-Ok, everyone is cool with the dress, order info, drop dead date, wear silver shoes-Who wants pro hair/make up?-Rough timeline and asking for OOT travel info so I could arrange to pick them up from airport, and asking who wanted to stay over the night before
  • Options
    My BMs and I email a lot.  They often start the emails to catch up on how everything is coming along.  They like to be informed, I guess.  I'm glad that I can run ideas by them without making them leave their chair.  I don't feel like I'm inconveniencing them or asking too much of their time if I just shoot a quick email asking how something looks.  They all have desk jobs and seem to enjoy having something to look at during the day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lee, if it's an e-mail to a single person and it's part of a conversation, i don't consider that to be like a newsletter.  i do that too!  i just consider that as catching up with eachother and being friends
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know that BM newsletters make sense however BM group emails can be fantastic.When I was getting married, I emailed the gals to see what worked for them and it was more of a conversation than an 'update'.For SIL's wedding, with all of the BMs scattered around the country, mass emails organizing the bachelorette and wedding activities worked out very well and kept us informed of the events that were planned. 
  • Options
    I did a few emails... One kind of thanking them all and giving them all each other's contact info. One with the dress info, including telling them to be sure and ask for the discount they were entitled to, date it had to be ordered by, etc. Telling them to get whatever shoes they wanted that matched the dress, and suggesting some discount shoe websites. One telling them that I had good news & wasn't actually bugging them about wedding stuff but wanted to share with them that I'd won a flight to Ireland for the honeymoon. One with a day of timeline: Please be at the venue by X time to get ready because photos were happening at Y time, ceremony at Z time, and "since we're not doing a rehearsal, girls on left, guys on right." And a couple asking them if there were any issues or problems or questions, to let me know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards