Wedding Party
Options

To attempt to liven up the board...a half-poll:

What wedding movie do you think glorifies or encourages the worst wedding values?
Courtesy of megk8oz
"I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.

Re: To attempt to liven up the board...a half-poll:

• Options
    My vote is for the Steve Martin version of "Father of the Bride". Bride and MOG go nuts with the budget. Dad protests. Dad is told he's a horrible father for "ruining" his daughter's wedding with all his budget talk. Bride ignores Dad at the wedding, doesn't even speak to him. Bride calls him from airport as an afterthought. Happy ending?
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I LOVE father of the bride,, but yeah, not the best movie for how to respond and act. As for my choice, I'd say that My Best Friend's Wedding is pretty bad. Although I love it, Julia's character is just a biitch!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Stina: Did you know that the movie originally ended with Julia winning the groom? Test audiences thought she was so despicable that they gave the movie terrible reviews. So they shot a new ending where Julia realizes what a bad friend she was, apologizes, and makes things right.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    I've got nothing on this one, but thanks for the fun fact of the day...  I actually thought that Julia Roberts ending up with the groom would have been a better ending...
  • Options
    I have never seen it, but I'm guessing Bride Wars has got to be up there, just based solely on the premise of the movie.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh Bride Wars was awful. Not only was it a bad movie, the pranks weren't good and it really showed how you can lose friends over such petty things. As for MBFW, Julia winning the man would have been a horrible movie. I hated Cameron's character (Kimmy) because she's so annoying, but dude, the groom picked her, not Julia.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I'm glad Julia didn't win the groom! The movie points out correctly that sabotaging your best friend's wedding in the hopes of winning the groom for yourself is a profound act of selfishness. If he's such a catch, he probably didn't throw himself into marriage lightly. And even if he did make a choice you don't agree with, you tell him so, you don't try to break it up! The girl had like 10 years or something to tell him how she felt, she just realized that he wasn't going to be an option anymore, saw herself pushing 30 with no prospects, and went a little nuts in the way that selfish, entitled people are prone to do. Sorry, not a fan of Julia in that movie.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    Bride Wars - horrendous display of two friends becoming absolutely evil and viscious to each other over their weddings.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    Disney's "Cinderella"The story of a prince "falling in love" with some chick he danced with for five minutes, and then couldn't recognize later on without the aid of a stupid glass shoe.We can also thank that movie for creating generations of spoiled brats who think they're entitled to be "princesses" and get everything they've ever wanted, just because they've wished for it. Heaven forbid they actually WORK for what they want.
  • Options
    "Muriel's Wedding" is pretty bad. I honestly don't remember if she learns a lesson at the end of it (I've only seen it a few times, and not recently enough to recall), but basically, she spends the whole movie wanting to get married (Or really "have a wedding") so badly ... that she really doesn't care who the groom is. And she winds up with some guy that doesn't really care one way or the other about her.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I am watching MBFW right now and I totally forgot one thing that we always say on this board. Kimmy loses her MOH and when she meets Jules for the first time, she bumps her up to MOH because she wants to replace her other girl. And Jules isn't even Kimmy's friend, she's Michael's. Double no no!
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Julia Roberts' stupid annoying laugh in that movie (like in that end scene where she's dancing with her guy friend) pisses me off. STFU lady. You and your gigantic cell phone.
  • Options
    I actually think a little better of Cinderella as an adult.  I had a bunch of feminist friends who would biitch that she was just sitting around waiting for a man to solve her problems, but watching it again, I noticed that she doesn't want to go to the ball to land a man and marry well, she wants to go to the ball because she was invited, and deserves the same treatment as her stepsisters.  But yeah, being willing to spend your life with someone after one dance, I don't so much buy.Bride Wars was wretched.  There was so much wrong with that movie, I don't even know where to start.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I love My Fat Greek Wedding, now thats a great bride movie has it depicts that love sees the beauty in someone that others over look. That love is not always superficial and their is more to someone that what they may look like.
  • Options
    With Cinderella, I really like the 3rd movie that Disney made...(don't judge) It's all about how "if the slipper DIDN'T fit and how Cinderella goes through great lengths to get the prince back. She's much more of a person in this movie because she actually does stuff.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Apparently, Cinderella III is based on a musical from the Disney Cruise Lines.  The musical is supposed to be even better.  I don't know, I haven't seen either.  But of the three golden age princesses, Cinderella has by far the most personality and independence.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I'll give the Disney cartoons a free pass.   If there are talking animals in the movie, you can't say it's real.I have to say, Father Of The Bride is definitely up there with horrible wedding values.  When I was younger I thought it was cute but even then, I remember my mother rolling her eyes at it saying, "This is entirely inappropriate and shouldn't be glorified!"
  • Options
    Aerin, she wins by default....Snow White was the first, and Sleeping Beauty's excuse is that she barely speaks the entire movie, and is asleep for nearly half of it...You should check out the C3 movie, but don't tell anyone...it's really embarrassing. Some of the music is pretty good. I wish I could sing some of them at my auditions. She's much more of a tough girl. She holds her own.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Yeah, I think the Disney princesses SHOULD get a free pass. Cinderella had the closest thing to a personality of the original 3.Which, I'm sure a big part of that was, considering when the movies were made, they didn't NEED to have a point, they were just supposed to be nice, pretty movies, ya know? Back in those days, writers didn't have to go out of their way to make the princess an "independent, sassy woman that doesn't really need a man" in order to avoid being slapped with a law suit by some feminist group.I'm not trying to hate on feminism or anything here, but you can drastically see a difference between the original princesses and how the new ones become more and more "progressive" as the years pass by.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    There's also only so much you can do with the source material. There's actually a book that tries to make Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella feminist: "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories." Good for a laugh. The stories are almost unrecognizable in an attempt to make them non-offensive.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    I'm not trying to hate on feminism or anything here, but you can drastically see a difference between the original princesses and how the new ones become more and more "progressive" as the years pass by.I think a lot of that has to do with the increased commercialization of these movies and the realization that little girls might be taking some of their values from the Disney princesses (in addition, of course, to the advancement of women in society, education, the workforce, etc., since the 1930s). But I'm sure that little girls who went to see Snow White when it first came out weren't too concerned with viewing her as a role model ... they were probably thinking more along the lines of, "Holy shiit, that colorful drawing is MOVING AND TALKING!!!!!"
  • Options
    she spends the whole movie wanting to get married (Or really "have a wedding") so badly ... that she really doesn't care who the groom isSounds like a high school friend of mine! Never had a serious relationship, but she's one of those "well if I want kids by the time I'm 30, and I want to be married for a couple years first, and of course we need a year engagement and a couple years to date...oh my god, I need to find the right guy NOW!" types. How can you talk about wanting to be married when you don't even have the faintest idea what that means? I know I can't know for sure yet, but I think 4 years of dating total and 2 of them living together give me at least a little insight. Sorry, rant over :)
  • Options
    mbc, that made me giggle.The other thing about Cinderella is that half the movie is about the damn mice...

• Options
    I'm really late, but I must say I didn't enjoy 27 dresses all that much and that is definetly about expecting your MOH to drop everything for you and about rushing into a wedding. I also didn't care for Man of Honor the frist time I watched it, but it has grown on me. I also think that movie doesn't focus on the wedding as much as it does the relationships.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    I agree with all the movies mentioned but to me Bride Wars was the worst. I just watched it today and it was pretty brutal. I also want to throw in Monster In Law bc that was really bad...the slapping and the fake crying was just too much. I was so afraid that it was going to be like that.
  • Options
    I think 27 dresses was more about the relationship between two sisters than weddings in general. My dad can't even watch it because the younger sister reminds him so much of my sister he was physically ill. Tons of big sisters have that AW little sister they're constantly bailing out of trouble. It's a universal theme.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards