Wedding Party
Options

help! last minute (unwanted) flower girl issue.

So my wedding is in 3.5 months and we have a our bridal party members picked since last may/june. Here is the issue, my fiance was booking tickets for his half sister in germany and her daughter (they are not super close, he only knew of her existance when he was 11, and theyve seen eachother maybe 5-6 times ever). So she has a 5 year old daughter, who is pushing her to be used as our flower girl. Here is my stance, our wedding party is picked, done with....why spring it on me with 3months to go, 2nd I hate kids! I'm totally missing the maternal gene. 3rd we put "no kids under 12" (obviously in a much more polite way) so wouldnt all the parents who want to bring their kids but cant be put off by seeing a little kid walk down the aisle? Also, she speaks 0% english...not even a little and her mom speaks no english either, so how would we direct? Not to mention cost, none of us have the money to buy a flower girl dress at this point, and i really dont want the added aggrevation.

Re: help! last minute (unwanted) flower girl issue.

• Options
    He needs to just tell her no.  Pure and simple.
  • Options
    I now have an insane desire to respond Auf Deutch.  Sadly, counting to ten wouldn't make any sense here.  
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    But, counting to ten in german is about as easy as showing a little girl how to walk down an aisle.
  • Options
    Wow!  This language excuse is a little lame!  I am a teacher.  I have 5 students who do not speak any english in my class. I'm pretty sure you can manage getting her to understand to walk down the isle and throw a few petals.  5 year olds are more than capable of sitting quietly for a few minutes as well.  You could have her walk down the isle and then sit with her mom.  As far as the dress issue, if her mother cannot afford a simple dress then she isn't in the wedding.  This shouldn't be that stressful!
  • Options
    hmm...deleting quoted posts, OP, does not make them go away. It just looks silly.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sie ist ein dummkopf. Eine kleine Mädchen soll ein Gang bezwingen. Stimmt?
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Okay, so I'm not crazy, and OP deleted all her follow-up posts.  That's really lame and childish.

Look, clearly the only advice you were looking for was how to browbeat your FI into doing things the way you want, and you're completely uninterested in any sort of compromise, even when it requires literally no work on your part.

Yeah, marriage is going to be great for you.  The whole needing to compromise and facing differences of opinion goes right away, I promise.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Your FI needs to handle this. If it is important to him to have this little girl in the wedding than let her walk, but if you are agreed he needs to tell the mom NO. I don't like kids either and I also put an "Adult reception only" line on my rsvps. I think it is great that you have arranged a sitter.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards