Wedding Party
Options

Being a bridesmaid and stealing the thunder of another bride?

So I am a bridesmaid in a long-time friend's wedding that is 3 months before mine. I did not ask her to be a bridesmaid in my wedding because we just aren't as close as we used to be. My mom wants to have my bridal shower the week before her wedding. Do you think this is a slap in the face to my friend, or is it no big deal? I don't want her to think I am trying to steal her thunder or anything. Any thought?

Re: Being a bridesmaid and stealing the thunder of another bride?

• Options
    Why would it be a slap in the face?  She gets one day, you get one day.  Your friend might decline to attend the shower if she has too much to finish up for her own wedding, but other than that I don't see any problem.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Unless she is marrying Thor, she technically has no thunder to steal. She gets her shower, and you get yours, whnever fits your schedule best. She may not be able to attend, but  you shouldn't cancel a party because of one guest's plans.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Sarah, I'm cracking up.

And ditto PPs. She doesn't get a whole week to claim as hers, and I SINCERELY doubt that even guests who are invited to both weddings will relate the two events. It's not like they're still going to be talking about your shower a week later and think the wedding's not as good by comparison!
  • Options
    Even though I totally agree that you each get one day and that she's crazy if she thinks you're stealing her thunder, for the sake of avoiding drama, could you have the shower two weeks later (i.e. after her wedding and while she's likely on her honeymoon)?  You have three months until the wedding, it's not like you have no other choice but to have the shower that week (at least based on what you wrote).  Just for your own sanity, I'd sidestep the potential problem.  Unless you really can't have it any other time, then go for it.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    It's fine.  It's a shower, a week before.  It doesn't matter.

Outside of this website, I've never heard an adult concerned with stealing anyone's thunder.  No matter what happens the weekend before, all eyes will be on her at her wedding.
  • Options
    i had my shower a week before my friends wedding and she attended, and seemed to have no problem with it.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sarah, omg, I nearly peed myself over that. Then DH asked what was so funny, so I told him, and now he's cracking up.

Anyway, OP, unless your shower was on her actual wedding day, I fail to see how this is a problem. She might not be able to make it, but I really can't imagine that she'd actually be mad about your shower being when it is.

FWIW, if one of my friends had a shower the week before my wedding, I really wouldn't have cared. For cripe's sake CHRISTMAS was the week before my wedding, I wasn't on the brink of roshambo-ing Santa and Jesus over it. People had lives, and honesgtly, while I was busy the week before, it wasn't anything that I needed my BMs for, so I really had no idea what most of them were doing while I was finalizing the playlist and the menu, and making final payments and all that lovely stuff.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Meg, I think Santa and Jesus are still roshambo-ing over Christmas, personally.  Mithras pipes up every so often to remind them that it's actually his birthday and that Jesus was born sometime in April, but they just shoo him away.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I love this thread!

It shouldn't be a big deal to have the shower the week before the big day.  And if it is, it's OK if she declines the invitation.
  • Options
    I'm glad we could add some humor to your day, Stage, especially if you are in need of TheraFlu. Get better soon!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Best. Thread. EVER.

You guys are hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards