Texas-San Antonio

Could use some prayers

I feel really bad for bringing more bad news to this board, but we could really use some prayers. Yesterday my dad went out for a run and had a heart attack when he was almost back home. A neighbor who lives right where he collapsed happened to be a nurse, and just happened to have gotten home from work early that day. Her husband looked out the window and noticed my dad laying in the street, so she rushed out and started CPR immediately. The ambulance arrived and they were able to shock his heart back into rhythym. They got him to the ER and were able to get his vitals stable. They have induced hypothermia because it has been shown to reduce the chance of brain damage, and he is sedated. He has to stay cooled and sedated for at least 24 hours, so we won't know until at least tonight, possibly tomorrow, whether he has any brain damage. He had a good night and his heart has been beating on its own, so the doctors are hopeful right now. We're all kind of in shock at the moment. He has a history of heart disease (quadruple bipass 9 years ago) because of family genetics, but he is still young, only 53, and has been otherwise healthy, active and eats well. We were definitely not expecting anything like this. We would really appreciate it if you could keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He's one of the best people I know and an amazing dad, and we're all just really hoping it turns out ok. Thanks in advance for all the knottie love.

Re: Could use some prayers

• edited December 2011
    Wow, how amazingly frightening. I don't know what else to say. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything that would help. I worked with a doctor who had a very similar experience to what it sounds like your dad is going through and he was off his feet for many months but had no lasting damage and returned to work for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Many, many prayers for you and your family!
  • marissa54marissa54 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will definitely keep your family in my prayers. Thank goodness the neighbor found him and was able to help out until the ambulance got there.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh, I am so sorry... Prayers are coming your way and if you need to talk to someone let me know...
  • txgeogirltxgeogirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Dad and your family will be in my prayers.  There was an article about about a woman who was stuck in freezing water for over an hour-after an hour of trying to bring her back-there was a heart beat! She is now a radiologist-no brain damage.I believe in miracles and I wish all the best to your family.
  • novio2010novio2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  Let us know if we can help in anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so so much to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. God has definitely been watching over my dad. They were able to warm him back up last night and when they weaned off the sedation he opened his eyes and tried to talk to us. He knew who we were and was able to respond to commands, so they were able to extubate him. He's now conscious and pretty stable, although very weak and obviously there is a long recovery ahead. The doctors think he has an infection now and the cardiologist still has to figure out what is going on with his heart, but it's looking really good right now. Again, I really appreciate everyone's support. It really means a lot to me and my family. You girls are the best.
  • edited December 2011
    Glad to hear things are looking good. I had been stalking, hoping you'd get a chance to update. I'm sure things will be fine and he has great motivation to get better with your wedding coming up (that really inspired my future MIL after she was hit by a car while crossing the street earlier this year). I will pray for a speedy recovery!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness, Lindsay!  I hope your dad is doing better.  That is so scary.  Prayers and knottie love coming your way!  Keep us up to date with his condition.
  • paith041paith041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just read your post - so srry about your dad. I hope things continue to go well and he's back on his feet soon.
    | My Blog l image
  • edited December 2011
    I have another update with my dad. He was awake a lot of Tuesday during the day and talking with us. His heart and vitals have stayed mostly stable, so the doctors are really pleased with that. He unfortunately has no short term memory right now. I feel like we're living that movie 50 First Dates with Drew Barrymore, or like he's Dori from Finding Nemo. He still had his normal sense of humor though, trying to tell jokes and ask us silly questions, so we're happy about that. He's been a little more frustrated today since he can't remember where he is or what happened. I think it's been long enough now that the short term memory should have improved a little, so we might be looking at some brain damage. It's still too early to know for sure though. He has a sonogram scheduled later today to look at his heart, and he will be going to the cath lab on Friday to see if they can figure out exactly what happened and what needs to be done. It's looking a lot better at this point though, so we're really thanking God and all our friends and family who have been supporting us and praying for us. Thank you again to all of you girls! It really helps me feel encouraged to hear of others you know who have made it through times like this. And of course it's wonderful to know all of the support we have out there. <3 to all of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards