Wedding Party

Help finding BM dresses!

My wedding dress is trumpet style, and all my BMs are different weights- from skinny to thicker. I'm not sure if trumpet style will look good on the bigger gals. Please let me know your thoughts and ideas. Here is a picture of my dress (I am also on the thinner side). Also having issues deciding on the fabric (though I think chiffon will look the best). I'd like the dresses to be floor length.

Re: Help finding BM dresses!

• Your BMs dresses don't have to match yours, at all.  Generally you want the formality to be similar, but that's about it.  I'd pick a designer you like, a color, and a material and then let your girls pick their own dresses (David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo are good for this).  This way each girl will get to pick a dress that's flattering to her own body. 

If you want them all in the same dress an A-line or empire is generally much more flattering on more body types.  Something really fitted through the hips probably won't be flattering on a bigger girl.  If this is what you want I'd have each girl try on several dresses and pick the one that looks best on all of them
  • What PP said.  They don't have to match you or each other.  Please let them pick their own dresses to suit their own body style.  And while we are at it, same goes for shoes, jewelry, and hair.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depends on the shape of the bigger girl.  A large hourglass, with well-defined waist but voluptuous chest and hips may look like a bombshell in a fitted dress.  I'm an apple, and I'd look absolutely horrid.

A-line is more universally flattering, but the best would be to take them shopping, (or let them go and take pics) and actually see what looks best on them.  If you're feeling flexible, pick a designer, fabric, length, and color, then let them each pick their own personally flattering style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_finding-bm-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:51f60cd1-a440-4c02-9b18-1c62e3ed23b9Post:2dd791e0-6b2f-4ea2-9db8-a9cf9a48de45">Re: Help finding BM dresses!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your BMs dresses don't have to match yours, at all.  Generally you want the formality to be similar, but that's about it.  I'd pick a designer you like, a color, and a material and then let your girls pick their own dresses (David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo are good for this).  This way each girl will get to pick a dress that's flattering to her own body.
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Trumpet is one of those styles that not many girls can pull off.</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Your BM dresses don't need to match yours. I would aim to make sure that the girls are comfortable with the dress they are buying vs making them match you. Ask what their budgets are and then find out what styles look good on them and what they are comfortable with. It is perfectly fine to pick a length and color, or even a style, and you can still be in control of the dress if you like, but there is nothing worse for a bigger gal than to get squashed into a dress that shows her wiggly bits at a disadvantage and have to stand up in front of a crowd and have her picture taken.

If you want a particular look or formality, I would take them with you and have them try on dresses. You could even have some specific ones pulled and ready to go. See how they like them and be open to their input. I had some dresses picked that gave my one BM a heart attack. She ended up taking my input and finding a beautiful dress that everyone loved and didn't make her die of embarrassment.
    Photobucket
  • First off I love your dress!! But as for BMs it depends on their body type as well as the time of year you are having the wedding. We are in Feb and chose long dresses for the girls because it will go with my dress and "theme". But if its a summer wedding you could go with a shorter dress and it will still look good with what you have.

Went to Davids Bridal. They had tons to chose from and many different sizes so if the girls are all different it will be easy to find something that will fit everyone.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you so much ladies for your help! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards