Wedding Party

BM dress costs

So my BMs are ordering their dresses this week (dresses which took forever to choose between everyone) and I find out that the larger sizes they are charging 'extra' for materials! What? Have you ever heard of this? My BMs agreed on the price, but now this adds $35! I called the shop and told them I wanted to pay for the extra cost, so the larger size girls didn't feel put out. I am just so annoyed, I mean, talk about making someone feel worse about their size, and I have NEVER heard of this before. It is total bullshit. Do you think I should call the shop and argue about the extra cost? Has anyone else dealt with this before? It is standard?

Re: BM dress costs

• Actually Megan I do believe it's common. Anything "custom" made will be more expensive if more materials are needed. These are not mass produced dresses. They have to be fitted.
  • This is actually pretty common.  Before I lost weight I was a 14-16 almost my entire adult life and always had to pay extra for larger sizes.
  • Most BM dresses that are considered a "plus size" they add the extra cost.  You can't argue with the salon about it because it's the designer that sets the price.  And yes, the $35 is for the extra material.  I think it's nice that you want to call the salon and pay the extra $35.  I;m sure your girls will really appreciate it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This is the problem we're having with the MOH and one of the other BMs.  They're both plus-sized, but on a very tight budget, so we're having trouble finding something suitable.  I think it would be nice of you to pay the extra cost, this is probably what I'm going to end up doing.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I think it's very nice of you to offer.

Yes, when a BM dress is in a plus size or requires extra length for tall girls, it does cost more.  It's not "fair" to the larger girls per say - but it is how they work.

• I had to pay a plus-size fee on my wedding dress too. Its pretty common, butI think $35 for the difference in fabric between a 14 and a 16 is outrageous. I wish they gave you a discount for the fabric you have ot cut off for the hem and taking it in..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Yeah, this is really common. Accept for Alfred Angelo, which advertises that all dresses regardless of size are the same price.
  • And just to play devil's advocate, I'm a size four/six and I don't complain that I should pay LESS because my clothing requires less fabric.

• stina93446stina93446 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    This is common. 2 of my girls had to get extra fabric...one because she was an 18)which really means she's only a 14) and one had to get extra length because she's 6'3". I paid for the extra charges because yes, it's BS that they charge for it. I didn't want them to feel bad for being different body types. 

I didn't even tell them about the extra charges either. I have no idea whether either girl knows that I paid for that stuff.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Thanks ladies. My BMs know about the cost, one mentioned it and one didn't. But, I am going to call the shop again next week and make sure to they charge me and not the BMs for the extra cost.

Banana- I see what you mean, but $35 seems like a lot of money for extra.

I was more just outraged on behalf of my friends, and the last thing I want is for being in my wedding to make them feel badly about their size.
  • Alfred Angelo doesnt charge for larger sizes or extra length. Something to think about if you dont want to pay the fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards