Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid passes away...do you ask someone else to stand up?

Recently one of my best friends passed away after a 4 year battle with breast cancer. My wedding is 10 months away, so I know that I would have enough time to ask someone else, but do you "replace" that person in your party?

Re: Bridesmaid passes away...do you ask someone else to stand up?

• Options
    Never. In your programs you could refer to her as an "honorary bridesmaid" or something of that nature. Forget about uneven sides, etc. People aren't replaceable.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

I would not replace her.  That would be the last thing on my mind and it should be the last thing on your mind.  I would also find a way to honor her at the ceremony.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    Sorry about your friend :(

Don't replace a bridesmaid (or groomsman) under any circumstances. You don't need even numbers in the bridal party whether or not someone drops out, and if someone wasn't good enough to be a BM the first time around then it's insulting to ask her to step in just because someone's out (for whatever reason).
  • Options
    Ditto all the other PP's.  And I'm very sorry for your loss.

You could list her in the program as an honorary BM. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dad lost his best man a month before he got married. He did not replace him. I suggest you do the same.

Very sorry for your loss. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-passes-awaydo-ask-someone-else-stand-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5bff1c1c-57f0-4a6b-becf-ea672bc4a6a4Post:2ca80277-9db5-49b8-8bbf-2f43aff626e3">Re: Bridesmaid passes away...do you ask someone else to stand up?</a>:
    [QUOTE] (What about putting a pink ribbon in your wedding bouquet?)
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>I love this idea.</div><div>
    </div><div>I am also very sorry for your loss. :(</div>
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I'm very sorry for your loss. And everyone else is right. <strong>(What about putting a pink ribbon in your wedding bouquet?)</strong>
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]
    Excellent idea.

I'm so sorry you lost your friend.
  • Options
    I agree with all PPs. And I definitely agree with putting the pink ribbon in your bouquet somewhere.
  • Options
    thanks so much for the response. I actually was thinking of having one pink rose in my bouqet (figured it would stand out since my colors are far from pink), and if I have an uneven number of bridesmaids/groomsmen, then there would be a table set up half way down the aisle with a vase and a single pink rose in it. Then the one groosman would walk down and take the rose, and hold it throughout the ceremony. No matter what, she'd still be listed as a bridesmaid.....thoughts??
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss!

I agree with the other ladies, I wouldn't replace her, I would find a way to honor her, like maybe have the groomsman carry something in honor of her?  I do like the pink ribbon idea, I am actually having my girls wear domestic abuse awareness bracelets that I purchased for them as this is one cause I feel deeply about.  Maybe you could get the pink breast cancer ones for your wedding party?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-passes-awaydo-ask-someone-else-stand-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5bff1c1c-57f0-4a6b-becf-ea672bc4a6a4Post:36319fe7-5636-4e46-86b8-75b1624624af">Re: Bridesmaid passes away...do you ask someone else to stand up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks so much for the response. I actually was thinking of having one pink rose in my bouqet (figured it would stand out since my colors are far from pink), and if I have an uneven number of bridesmaids/groomsmen, then there would be a table set up half way down the aisle with a vase and a single pink rose in it. Then the one groosman would walk down and take the rose, and hold it throughout the ceremony. No matter what, she'd still be listed as a bridesmaid.....thoughts??
    Posted by deckel08[/QUOTE]

I think the pink rose is your bouquet is a great idea. Having the groomsman walk down with the rose, you might want to really think about- it might be hard for some people to watch and you want it to be a happy event.
  • Options
    The pink rose idea is touching. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine...

*HUGS*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss! And I think I understand what you meant when you asked about "replacing" her. FI's best friend of almost 20 years died in a motorcycle accident in June and he would have been a GM - I have toyed around with the idea of having his GF stand in his place, on FI's side but in a BM dress. I am not very close to her, but I know that FI would be thinking about his friend all day anyway and may like having a reminder of him and where he should have been. I think the pink ribbon or rose idea is perfect. You should do whatever you feel would best represent her and make you feel close to her that day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards