Wedding Party

Junior Bridesmaid help

How young do Jr. Bridesmaids need to be.   I have a 16 year old goddaughter.  and would like to include her but I know she will struggle financially with some obligations.  Any advice?

Re: Junior Bridesmaid help

• I wouldn't call anyone over 10 a junior anything.  If she's doing the same things as the regular BMs (getting a dress, walking up and down the aisle, smiling for photos) there is no need to single her out with a condecending title.

As far as the money, since she's 16, you should ask her parents before you ask her.  They'll probably be the ones paying for her dress.  And of course, have the decency to ask everyone for a budget before you go shopping for dresses.  All other financial things are optional, so it doesn't matter.

• I agree with what mynameisnot said!  If her parents say money is an issue then think of other ways for her to be included.  She could read something or help with the guest book.  This way she wouldn't have to buy a dress or shoes or anything and could just wear something she already has.
  • Ditto MNIN. Talk budget with ALL your BMs before you pick out a dress.

Please don't make her a guestbook attendant. That and personal attendant tend to fall into the category of "not an honor but actually a crappy job," and very few people will actually be happy to be asked to do those things.
  • PLEASE don't ask ANYONE to help with the guest book.

But if you want her in the wedding, asking her to be a regular BM is just fine.
  • What "obligations" could a 16 year old possibly have as a BM?  She buys the dress and shows up.  Anything else is not only not okay to demand anyway, but is also not appropriate for a teenager.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_junior-bridesmaid-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:6b819d95-54e3-44fb-901b-70d18d7cee45Post:a8f96e4d-7d89-4f76-80e3-380c17d56c43">Junior Bridesmaid help</a>:
    [QUOTE]How young do Jr. Bridesmaids need to be.   I have a 16 year old goddaughter.  <strong>and would like to include her but I know she will struggle financially with some obligations.  Any advice?</strong>
    Posted by alirose 77[/QUOTE]

As the others have said, ask the parents first.  A BMs only obligation is to buy the dress and show up.  Since her parents will most likely have to provide these things, ask them before you ask her.
  • I was a  bridesmaid (not a junior bridemaid) in my cousin's wedding when I was 14 (as was my mom, which probably made it easier).  At the point my mom paid for everything.  From a 14 y/o persepctive it was pretty cool to walk down the aisle and sit at the head table.
  • Don't call her a jr has she is doing the same things the other BM's are doing getting her attire and walking the aisle.
  • My cousin is in the my June wedding. She is 14. She is in no way a woman she is a child. Barely even a teenager. She will not be wearing the same dresses as my bridesmaids because I want her to look her age. She will be MY junior bridesmaid because she is a junior. That is the problem with these children growing up so fast. People treat them as if they are older then they are. 18 and up should be considered a BM!
  • I don't know that you need to name the title based on the dress though.  She can be a regular BM in the appropriate clothing for her age.  Then her dress would be different but the title the same .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards