Texas-San Antonio

Once Upon a Time Photog?

Has anyone used Once Upon a Time Photography? My Mom and I met with them today and thought they had beautiful work, but after we left I just can't help but feel like we're not getting anything for the money. I only need engagement and bridal photos because we're doing a destination wedding. I could swear we're only getting two photos: an 11x14 engagement and a 16x20 bridal, for $650. That seems ridiculous to me, but I'm not familiar with wedding photography so I don't know. Is $650 reasonable for only two large prints? I want lots of prints from both engagement and bridal, but they told me that I had to buy each one seperately. Is that right?

Re: Once Upon a Time Photog?

• edited December 2011
    In my opinion that's pretty expensive, especially if you're not getting the DVD of all the photos. With my photographer (Caitlin's Creations) you get the DVD of all the photos from each session and both engagement and bridal sessions for $300. Then you can have your own prints made or have her make them...which would still be well under $650 even if you got several.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that that sounds expensive if you're not even getting the CD of the pictures. I would highly suggest finding a photographer that includes the pictures or lets you buy the rights to them (if that option isn't too expensive). My photographer includes the CD in our package, but he also let us choose 2 prints per engagement and bridal session too.  I'm not sure how his additional print pricing compares to other photographers, but if we ever decide we want more prints rather than paying $8 for a 5x7 through him we can now just go to Costco and pay $0.39. 

Specifically about Once Upon A Time Photography.... I have a friend who got married about 2 years ago and used them. When I was searching for photogs she said to NOT use them. She said her dad ended up taking better pictures than they did.  Maybe hers was an isolated case or maybe they'd be better with the non-wedding sessions, but I just thought I should pass that on.

In terms of other photographers, I love mine, Josh Fowler Photography, and would highly recommend him.  A lot of girls on here also recommend Caitlin's Creations. She's done some great work on her engagement and bridal sessions too. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Although I'm not from the area through my research I've come across a butt load of photographers and the prices you are talking about sound like a lot.
    I'm using Philip Thomas for my wedding. He's a documentary type of wedding photog and I love his work. He did my engagement shots this summer and they came out fabulous and he sent me a cd w/ all the shots right away.
    I think he charges around $325 for engagements.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies. I've been mulling over it all last night and today. I called today to check to make sure that I had understood correctly and I had. It is $650 for only the two prints (11x14 of an engagement and a 16x20 of the bridal).To buy the rights to a single image is $100. And they told me that they don't like selling the copyright to more than one image. Yeah, based on what I've been researching today and what I've read on this board I think I can get better elsewhere. I want quality photography and I don't mind paying for it, but if I don't get any prints of the pictures I've taken, what's the point of doing it in the first place?
  • edited December 2011
    How much did they charge for your wedding..I am trying without sucess to find some one for less than $1000..I am at a loss, am I asking to much?
    thanks for your response.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards