Wedding Party

What do I call the girls in my house party?

For those of you that don't know, a "house party" is a tradition we have in the south.  It's like a second bridal party, but they don't stand with you.  Generally, they do programs and greeting, but I don't want my girls to do that. I simply want them a part of my wedding, but can't have 10 bridesmaids. They are super understanding and not the type of people to be offended by that.

ANYWAY, I'm asking my girls to be in my bridal or house party by decorating a little wooden box that contains a picture of us, wedding colors, dress ideas, etc. in it and painting their name on top, then "Will you be my bridesmaid?" on the inside of the lid.

I can't call my girls in the house party bridesmaids, and I feel like "house maid" is very strange and offensive.  What should I call them?

Please don't sit here and tell me that I shouldn't have a house party- it's not the point of this :)

Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    I am not 5, dont tell me how to post. Don't have a house party and treat them like second class friends.

Edit: Please explain why you can only have 5 Bms. Let me guess.... even sides???
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've grown up in the south, and attended many weddings here. I've never heard of this "house party" term until today, on the knot... And unless I was standing up with you or performing a role such as an usher, I wouldn't see the point in buying a dress you picked out for me and not be offended.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to Re:What do I call the girls in my house party?:[QUOTE]Please explain why you can only have 5 Bms. Let me guess.... even sides??? Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]
    Maybe they're getting married at the edge of a cliff and any more than five on each side will fall off?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:3b2c83f1-72e8-4c06-a2f6-b5e0a1b3649e">What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For those of you that don't know, a "house party" is a tradition we have in the south.  It's like a second bridal party, but they don't stand with you.  Generally, they do programs and greeting, but I don't want my girls to do that. I simply want them a part of my wedding, but can't have 10 bridesmaids. They are super understanding and not the type of people to be offended by that. ANYWAY, I'm asking my girls to be in my bridal or house party by decorating a little wooden box that contains a picture of us, wedding colors, dress ideas, etc. in it and painting their name on top, then "Will you be my bridesmaid?" on the inside of the lid. <strong>I can't call my girls in the house party bridesmaids, and I feel like "house maid" is very strange and offensive.</strong>  What should I call them? Please don't sit here and tell me that I shouldn't have a house party- it's not the point of this :)
    Posted by TheFutureMrsCromer[/QUOTE]

That's because it is. This sounds like a very antiquated custom. Drop it. You can have friends hand out programs, do a reading, etc., without giving them a strange name.

I post how I want to post.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Guest. Like everyone else who isn't in the bridal party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:9809d64e-7fec-4280-8b65-bea8c3db4783">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me clear something up- these girls are NOT second in line or anything like that all. For many reasons I can only have 5 bridesmaids- ALL are family. I want my friends included, they want to be included, and this was actually suggested by them when I was expressing how much I wish they could actually be in my procession. I'm not selecting their dress, just asking that it be in my wedding colors. They also aren't being asked to fork out extra money or forced to plan things. These girls have taken it upon themselves to offer their help without expecting at all to even be in the wedding. THIS POST IS NOT FOR YOUR OPINIONS ON WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD HAVE THEM. I don't care what you think as far as that goes- <strong><em><u>this is my wedding</u></em></strong>, this is what me AND MY GIRLS want.

There it is... the classic zilla line.

You chose to have 5 BMs, you could have easily chosen to have 10. You made a choice. If these ladies arent bridesmaids, then they are guests. And you do not get to dictate how your guests dress.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't talk to my friends like that. They are very much involved and I love all their help and opinions. However, I don't have a problem saying that "it's my wedding" to people who are trying to tell me what to do and don't know me at all.

I'm not trying to tell you HOW to post, I simply asked that you please not post things like this because there is literally no point. You have every right to do so, but I also have every right to kindly ask people not to.

If you don't like the house party, that's totally okay. Don't have it in your wedding.

Like I said before, this isn't something that THEY see as offensive, and that's what's important to me. I was sure to find that out before deciding to have a house party in the first place.

Maybe they're strange, but the ones who know I'm doing this are excited to get their own dress. I would be totally okay if they wanted to dress however, but that's just not how things played out.  I just want them to be honored at my wedding, which doesn't require anything from them that they don't want to do.

And I can't have more than 5 because our venue isn't set up to have very many people standing horizontally.  Other reasons are more personal (nothing to do with even sides), but either way I can't have more than 5. 
  • msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:3b2c83f1-72e8-4c06-a2f6-b5e0a1b3649e">What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I can't call my girls in the house party bridesmaids, and I feel like "house maid" is very strange and offensive.  What should I call them? Posted by TheFutureMrsCromer[/QUOTE]

There won't be suggestions for something against etiquette. If you choose to do it, knowing it's a bad idea, then that's your choice. But don't expect validation here, or help achieving bad etiquette.

Edit: Other alternatives: adding a "Special Thanks" section in the program, giving them corsages, reserving a special table for them at the reception
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Is there some sort of law in your Parish that allows you only to have five BMs?  If not, them either make them all BMs or invite them as guests.

And stop throwing a temper tantrum.  It is most unladylike.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:1d5c92c5-41ef-4442-9fa3-dc579cac7a5f">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What do I call the girls in my house party? : There won't be suggestions for something against etiquette. If you choose to do it, knowing it's a bad idea, then that's your choice. <strong>But don't expect validation here, or help achieving bad etiquette.</strong>
    Posted by msuprincess04[/QUOTE]

<div>Not asking for validation, just for a term from people also doing this. And there are other people doing this as I can see from the forum. Those are the people I was reaching out to. If no one does have a suggestion, that's totally fine. What I don't understand is why people go out of their way to be rude and pass judgement when opinions on those things weren't asked for.</div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:a943b2c8-08b3-4c02-942d-2bb6213ce6e1">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there some sort of law in your Parish that allows you only to have five BMs?  If not, them either make them all BMs or invite them as guests. And stop throwing a temper tantrum.  It is most unladylike.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>No, there isn't. I already addressed it's mainly a venue situation, but also other personal things.</div><div>
    </div><div>Not throwing a tantrum. Just addressing some misconceptions.</div><div>
    </div><div>Once again, my question was not whether or not I should have one.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:1d5c92c5-41ef-4442-9fa3-dc579cac7a5f">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What do I call the girls in my house party? : There won't be suggestions for something against etiquette. If you choose to do it, knowing it's a bad idea, then that's your choice. But don't expect validation here, or help achieving bad etiquette. Edit: Other alternatives:<strong> adding a "Special Thanks" section in the program, giving them corsages, reserving a special table for them at the reception</strong>
    Posted by msuprincess04[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div><em>Thank you</em>. That's basically what I am doing. They aren't being asked to do traditional "house party" duties. They are just being honored with a special row in ceremony and special seating at the reception.</div>
  • OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:d38bef52-ee78-431c-8944-ed17b62fc642">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do I call the girls in my house party? : Not asking for validation, just for a term from people also doing this. And there are other people doing this as I can see from the forum. Those are the people I was reaching out to. If no one does have a suggestion, that's totally fine. What I don't understand is why people go out of their way to be rude and pass judgement when opinions on those things weren't asked for.

Trying to find out a name for these girls is trying to validate your bad idea.  And any time someone comes on here trying to find a title for a person they would love to have in their BP, but just can't gets told the same thing.  Either add them in or have them invited as a guest.

We are not going out of our way to be rude.  We are trying to make sure that you have friends after your wedding and that your family & friends don't talk badly about you behind your back.  If you can ONLY have 5 BMs, then that's it.  Don't ask your friends to be house maids, but if along the way while you are planning your wedding they offer to help with something - take them up on it!  A person does not have to be in the BP or have some crappy title to help a bride during her wedding planning.
  • I've been in a "house party". It sucks. The bride was and is still a good friend so I put a smile on and never said a negative word to her about it, but I would have enjoyed the wedding much more as just a regular ol' guest.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:2ca2ff78-127d-4784-afa0-d331acd4e0f0">Re:What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been in a "house party". It sucks. The bride was and is still a good friend so I put a smile on and never said a negative word to her about it, but I would have enjoyed the wedding much more as just a regular ol' guest.
    Posted by LyssaAnn728[/QUOTE]

<div>Even though that's not at all what I was asking, that's good to know.  One of the girls I was going to ask to be in it is who suggested this whole thing, and the other girls seemed to like it. I'm going to triple check and make sure, but they are acting as if it's totally a good idea. </div><div>
    </div><div>My thing is that they aren't going to be forced into anything or asked to do anything. House party is probably a bad term for it- they aren't doing anything the traditional house party would do.  They are basically just being honored, which is totally okay with them.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:33a9b160-09fa-47ef-b987-d2fb77567a72">Re:What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:What do I call the girls in my house party? : Even though that's not at all what I was asking, that's good to know.  One of the girls I was going to ask to be in it is who suggested this whole thing, <strong>and the other girls seemed to like it. I'm going to triple check and make sure</strong>, but they are acting as if it's totally a good idea.  My thing is that they aren't going to be forced into anything or asked to do anything. House party is probably a bad term for it- they aren't doing anything the traditional house party would do.  They are basically just being honored, which is totally okay with them.

Of course they are going to say yes to your face!  They don't want to hurt your feelings! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:3b2c83f1-72e8-4c06-a2f6-b5e0a1b3649e">What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For those of you that don't know, a "house party" is a tradition we have in the south.  It's like a second bridal party, but they don't stand with you.  Generally, they do programs and greeting, but I don't want my girls to do that. I simply want them a part of my wedding, but can't have 10 bridesmaids. They are super understanding and not the type of people to be offended by that. ANYWAY, I'm asking my girls to be in my bridal or house party by decorating a little wooden box that contains a picture of us, wedding colors, dress ideas, etc. in it and painting their name on top, then "Will you be my bridesmaid?" on the inside of the lid. I can't call my girls in the house party bridesmaids, and I feel like "house maid" is very strange and offensive.  What should I call them? Please don't sit here and tell me that I shouldn't have a house party- it's not the point of this :)

Don't give them a title. If they're not BM's then they're guests. If these guests happen to be excited for your wedding as your close friends and offer to throw a party, then take em up on it and appreciate it. If they decided to wear the wedding colors out of excitement to share your special day with you then I don't see anything wrong with that. The part <em>*I* </em>judge is the "house maid" title thrown around.

Can you explain to me what exactly the house party is? you said they'd all be decorating a wooden box and note a title and the ones that are NOT bridesmaids don't have anything to note correct? Then why not make all of them <em>Without </em>titles?

I do agree with the PP who suggested corsages for your friends. I would also include them in the pictures. I understand you already said you can't have all of them in your BP because you cannot have all 10 of them standing horizontally in the venue; can you have them in two rows or sitting? Also, you said you wouldn't get into details and they're all family but is it because they're paired with the GM?
  • In Response to Re:What do I call the girls in my house party?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:What do I call the girls in my house party?:I've been in a "house party". It sucks. The bride was and is still a good friend so I put a smile on and never said a negative word to her about it, but I would have enjoyed the wedding much more as just a regular ol' guest.Posted by LyssaAnn728Even though that's not at all what I was asking, that's good to know. nbsp;One of the girls I was going to ask to be in it is who suggested this whole thing, and the other girls seemed to like it. I'm going to triple check and make sure, but they are acting as if it's totally a good idea.nbsp;My thing is that they aren't going to be forced into anything or asked to do anything. House party is probably a bad term for it they aren't doing anything the traditional house party would do. nbsp;They are basically just being honored, which is totally okay with them. Posted by TheFutureMrsCromer[/QUOTE]

That's exactly my point...I acted like it was a great idea too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:30bd0a1b-3ee8-4352-be87-c2cdf8387b71">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What do I call the girls in my house party? : I have never been to a Texas/southern wedding WITHOUT a house party, and I am also having one. I have seen another very well spoken poster on this board explain that she sees etiquette as an extension of "The Golden Rule" (do unto others, etc.). I absolutely agree with this observation, and therefore dont see house parties to be a breach of etiquette- I would be honored to be asked to participate as a member of the house party, and therefore have good faith that the people who surround me (and are familiar with the tradition) would feel the same. This is especially if everyone in your circle or region is familiar with and accepting of the term. It might be different if the girls you were asking were not familiar with the concept, but obviously they are. Having said that, I didnt come up with any special name for it, since everyone in the wedding party knows exactly what a house party is. Instead of saying "Will you be my _____?," could you just put "Will you be in my House Party?,"- or is there a specific reason you dont want to use the term? I am assuming that if they are familiar with the concept (and suggested the idea to you!), they will not be offended by using the traditional term for it.
    Posted by morvanferguson2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you!!! I figured if I couldn't find a term to fill in the blank, that "Will you be in my house party" would be exactly what I'd write.  At this point, I've pretty much decided that's the only solution.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm from Louisiana and have seen some house parties, but I know Texas is huge on them. </div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you again :)

</div>
  • I like the idea of just listing them as in the program under special thanks or something. You can still do the special seating and you can still ask them to come over to get ready with you. But I do feel anything else is a bit "second place" feeling. I think that would be enough.
  • Obviously the house party thing is common in certain circles, but from what I'd gather, those circles are in the minority.  Count me in the majority (never heard of it outside TK).

What I don't understand is, if having a house party is so commonplace in your circle, then why don't you just call them what they are normally called?  It's not like you are going to be referring to them by their title (ie. If I wanted to talk to my BM Carrie I said "hey, Carrie", not "hey, bridesmaid").  KWIM?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • You shouldn't have a house party. 

Oh, fluck. I broke the rules. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I have never heard of this nonsense until this post
  • I have only heard of them via my florist (I lived in TX) and on here. And ditto asking why you need a "new" name for them. If they are your "house party," then just call them that if you insist on doing this. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:b160a1b3-0b65-415a-8fb4-423a8d68733a">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Obviously the house party thing is common in certain circles, but from what I'd gather, those circles are in the minority.  Count me in the majority (never heard of it outside TK). What I don't understand is, if having a house party is so commonplace in your circle, then why don't you just call them what they are normally called?  It's not like you are going to be referring to them by their title (ie. If I wanted to talk to my BM Carrie I said "hey, Carrie", not "hey, bridesmaid").  KWIM?
    Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]

<div>I never said I was going to directly call them BM, it's for the present I'm making to ask them... like "Will you be my bridesmaid"</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:471f009f-02f3-43eb-a2ef-4417f814f9bb">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What do I call the girls in my house party? : Don't give them a title. If they're not BM's then they're guests. If these guests happen to be excited for your wedding as your close friends and offer to throw a party, then take em up on it and appreciate it. If they decided to wear the wedding colors out of excitement to share your special day with you then I don't see anything wrong with that. The part *I* judge is the "house maid" title thrown around. Can you explain to me what exactly the house party is? you said they'd all be decorating a wooden box and note a title and the ones that are NOT bridesmaids don't have anything to note correct? Then why not make all of them Without titles? I do agree with the PP who suggested corsages for your friends. I would also include them in the pictures. I understand you already said you can't have all of them in your BP because you cannot have all 10 of them standing horizontally in the venue; can you have them in two rows or sitting? Also, you said you wouldn't get into details and they're all family but is it because they're paired with the GM?
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know if you misread or what, but I will be making these things as a way to ask them.</div><div>
    </div><div>And I said it's PERSONAL things, so does it seriously matter why I can't have ten people up there with me? Especially when that is not at all what I am asking for help with?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:cbc73812-22d2-417d-9272-3a8a33bacfd7">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]::raises hand:: I have spent my entire life in the south.  I have lived in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama, and spent much time in Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina.  I have attended over 30 weddings.  I have never seen a "house party". Please don't use my homeland as an excuse for your bad ideas.  It is NOT a southern tradition.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it's a Texas thing, and maybe it just transferred over for me from there (I have family there). It wasn't MY idea. I didn't invent this.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you think it's bad, good for you. I really couldn't care less, so I don't see the point in telling me when I  never asked for an opinion.</div>
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_what-do-i-call-the-girls-in-my-house-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:79144126-fef0-4733-a16c-b54970cf8a2cPost:a1de2793-9977-4923-a128-5ea6d0b0b333">Re: What do I call the girls in my house party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do I call the girls in my house party? : I never said I was going to directly call them BM, it's for the present I'm making to ask them... like "Will you be my bridesmaid"
    You mean you're going to do that, but for the House Party members?
    I don't think they need to formally be invited to come get ready with you the day of your wedding. That's my completely blunt answer. A simple phone call or text message when you get closer to the date would more than suffice. Because... you're not asking them to be a bridesmaid. You're literally asking them to <em>not</em> be a part of your bridal party, but be treated <em>almost</em> like they will be a part of your bridal party. It's an awkward question to ask, no?
    Are you positive they all aware of what a House Party is? Because if even one of them doesn't or isn't sure, it could lead to a potentially awkward conversation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards