Wedding Party

Need major help!!!plz!!

I am a bride gettig married this year so I am working on my wedding and still paying for things,however I am also a bridesmaid to a good friends wedding this year as well,and attending one other weedding as a guest (my fiances brother) also getting married this year. I found my bridesmaid dresses for under $100 to keep things fair in price and now my friends wedding that I will be in she wants me to buy a bridesmaid dress that is $150. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but it is to me because of my wedding and the other wedding I have to attend is there a way that I can tell her the price is a little to much or is that rude?I don't know what to do.

Re: Need major help!!!plz!!

• She should have asked you before she chose a dress what your budget was.  If this is too much for you, there is nothing wrong with speaking up.  Just say "This is a little out of my price range.  I was hoping to keep it to X dollars.  Have you seen X or Y dress?  What do you think of those?"

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-major-helpplz?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:7f14e3c8-35cd-4220-af24-065afa2f00b7Post:239a9742-d82d-40f9-ac74-40c8847123ee">Re: Need major help!!!plz!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]She should have asked you before she chose a dress what your budget was.  If this is too much for you, there is nothing wrong with speaking up.  Just say "This is a little out of my price range.  I was hoping to keep it to X dollars.  Have you seen X or Y dress?  What do you think of those?"
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This. Exactly. You should not feel bad about speaking up. </div>
  • I did tell her I couldn't afford that and now shes almost trying to put me down and make me feel bad not being able to afford it.She sent me a text "Well I guess your dress can be different from the other girls" and "My maid of honor spent $210 on her dress for my wedding and that isn't expensive either." I'm really irratated with her and it makes me not want to be in her wedding since she's acting like this.I know it's her day and all but still I'm having my day as well and the whole time she's been trying to one up me in everything. I've just stopped telling her any wedding plans because of how she's acting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-major-helpplz?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:7f14e3c8-35cd-4220-af24-065afa2f00b7Post:77b1ebd9-8cf3-4aa4-ab0c-d443a165b53d">Re: Need major help!!!plz!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did tell her I couldn't afford that and now shes almost trying to put me down and make me feel bad not being able to afford it.She sent me a text "Well I guess your dress can be different from the other girls" and "My maid of honor spent $210 on her dress for my wedding and that isn't expensive either."<strong> I'm really irratated with her and it makes me not want to be in her wedding since she's acting like this.</strong>I know it's her day and all but still I'm having my day as well and the whole time she's been trying to one up me in everything. I've just stopped telling her any wedding plans because of how she's acting.
    Posted by lilypad09[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div> If she considers $150 to be "not much money", then she can pay for your dress. But that's kind of nice that she's responsive and will let you choose a dress you can afford. To the bolded, I really don't blame you, but that decision is entirely up to you. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-major-helpplz?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:7f14e3c8-35cd-4220-af24-065afa2f00b7Post:77b1ebd9-8cf3-4aa4-ab0c-d443a165b53d">Re: Need major help!!!plz!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did tell her I couldn't afford that and now shes almost trying to put me down and make me feel bad not being able to afford it.She sent me a text "Well I guess your dress can be different from the other girls" and "My maid of honor spent $210 on her dress for my wedding and that isn't expensive either." I'm really irratated with her and it makes me not want to be in her wedding since she's acting like this.I know it's her day and all but still I'm having my day as well and the whole time she's been trying to one up me in everything. I've just stopped telling her any wedding plans because of how she's acting.
    Posted by lilypad09[/QUOTE]

Wow.  She's a peach.  Bowing out is entirely your call but honestly, I think I would.

Oh, and it is not "her day" (or "your day" for that matter).  Please do not think in these terms because they are not true.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • After that kind of passive aggressive "So and so paid x amount, so there", I would bow out.  How sad that that girl is chancing having one less important friend next to her on her special day, just because of a dress.  Wedding have a way of skewing priorities.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-major-helpplz?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:7f14e3c8-35cd-4220-af24-065afa2f00b7Post:77b1ebd9-8cf3-4aa4-ab0c-d443a165b53d">Re: Need major help!!!plz!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did tell her I couldn't afford that and now shes almost trying to put me down and make me feel bad not being able to afford it.She sent me a text "Well I guess your dress can be different from the other girls" and <strong>"My maid of honor spent $210 on her dress for my wedding and that isn't expensive either."</strong> I'm really irratated with her and it makes me not want to be in her wedding since she's acting like this.I know it's her day and all but still I'm having my day as well and the whole time she's been trying to one up me in everything. I've just stopped telling her any wedding plans because of how she's acting.
    Posted by lilypad09[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Wow what a bi-o-tch.  I'd consider dropping out.  If you don't though, you need to stand your ground and get a dress you can afford.  Or she can't pay for your dress, or pay at least the difference.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Does she not understand that expensive is a relative term?

OP were I you, I would graciously bow out of her wedding, but that is up to you. You absolutely have a say in the cost of your dress. Even if you had $1million of play money sitting in your bank account right now, if you only wanted to spend $50 on your dress then that is all you should spend, because she has no say in how you spend your money.

And ditto others, if $150 is so "cheap" she can pay for it.
  • You should say to her that you are willing to pay you budget amount and if she would like to pay the difference so that all the girls can be in the same dress you won't be insulted.  I can't believe she didn't ask everyones budget, pretty rude of her. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards