July 2012 Weddings

Wine Box Ceremony

Who here is doing the wine box tradition/ceremony? I ordered a custom box for ours and I'm curious how others are doing it.

WIll you make it part of your actual wedding ceremony or just do it privately with your groom? And when do you plan to open it? Five year anniversary? How are you selecting the wine for it? Are you also writing your FI a letter to give to him the day of the wedding, in addition to the letter that will go in the box? That's my plan, but I'm kind of wondering how to makes these two letters different from each other.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wine Box Ceremony

• We're doing one! FI made the box and it's going to be something we display in our house. We plan to open it on our 5 year anniversary. We aren't sure on the wine type yet. We were thinking of going to a local store here and talking with the wine guru there. I know red is supposed to get better with age but I am not a fan of red wine.

We are incorporating it into our ceremony. Our officiant will just say a few words about what our plans for it are, about the letters and wine we put in it. Just something short and sweet.

And I'm not sure what to do about letters the day of. I want to exchange letters but you're right, I don't know how to make them different!
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wine-box-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:3c194bee-6ca2-4e8e-bebd-75c9aa5538e7Post:1523ea8a-83c0-4d1e-ab2e-a281573291d4">Wine Box Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who here is doing the wine box tradition/ceremony? I ordered a custom box for ours and I'm curious how others are doing it. WIll you make it part of your actual wedding ceremony or just do it privately with your groom? And when do you plan to open it? Five year anniversary? How are you selecting the wine for it? Are you also writing your FI a letter to give to him the day of the wedding, in addition to the letter that will go in the box? That's my plan, but I'm kind of wondering how to makes these two letters different from each other.
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

We are doing this as well.  Yes it will be a part of our ceremony our reverend is going to explain it to everyone.  Then we are going to seal the box.  My mom actually found a really cool wooden wine box  at the curb that someone was throwing out so we are using that.  We just have to buy a lock for it.  I don' t want to have to hammer a nail so we will each turn the key.  Also we are going to a really big liquor store by us and asking them to recommend a red wine that will age well over 5 years.  We are going to open it on our 5 year anniversary.  Yes I am still giving FI a card for the day of the wedding.  The time capsule one I am going to talk about why I fell in love with FI and talk about maybe by the time you read this we will have our 2 wonderful children that we wanted and hopefully we will be in our dream house. At the end I am going to say happy 5th anniversary.  Praying to god that we don't have to open it before then.  I have a copy of what the reverend is going to say if you want me to email it to you PM your email address.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • My godfather/uncle is making the box for us.  he is using the wood from an oak tree that stood in my front yard as a child growing up! So it has some sentimental value to it as well.  I think there will be a picture frame on top of the box as well.  We're including a few photos in the box along with the letters.  We're giving the letters to our officiant before the ceremony & then he'll give them back to us to put into the box.

WIll you make it part of your actual wedding ceremony or just do it privately with your groom?  We are making it a part of our ceremony.  And when do you plan to open it?  10 year anniversary...FI is a wine guru & says 10 years max on certain wines...champagne lasts longer...How are you selecting the wine for it? I'm leaving it up to FI because he knows what he's talking about with wine...Are you also writing your FI a letter to give to him the day of the wedding, in addition to the letter that will go in the box?  No.  There will be no letters, cards or gifts for FI or I the day of the wedding. The wedding is a gift in itself.

If you ladies would like, I can email you our wine box ceremony that I wrote using different information I found online. 
  • LADY - thanks, that would be great just to see how to explain what the heck is it that we're doing (I haven't seen other weddings where this was done)! I will PM you now.

I'm thinking we may do it the night before at our RD, just b/c our ceremony is going to be long anyway (it's Episcopalian) and they are kind of strict about what we can and can't do. We are doing a special pre-wedding ceremony at the RD that's a tradition in Croatia (since my FI is half Croatian), so I think it could fit to do the wine box thing directly after that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wine-box-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:3c194bee-6ca2-4e8e-bebd-75c9aa5538e7Post:e77d598f-e518-4c79-aa1f-a8194cd13417">Re: Wine Box Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]My godfather/uncle is making the box for us.  he is using the wood from an oak tree that stood in my front yard as a child growing up! So it has some sentimental value to it as well.  I think there will be a picture frame on top of the box as well.  We're including a few photos in the box along with the letters.  We're giving the letters to our officiant before the ceremony & then he'll give them back to us to put into the box. WIll you make it part of your actual wedding ceremony or just do it privately with your groom?  We are making it a part of our ceremony.  And when do you plan to open it?  10 year anniversary...FI is a wine guru & says 10 years max on certain wines...champagne lasts longer... How are you selecting the wine for it? I'm leaving it up to FI because he knows what he's talking about with wine... Are you also writing your FI a letter to give to him the day of the wedding, in addition to the letter that will go in the box?  No.  There will be no letters, cards or gifts for FI or I the day of the wedding. The wedding is a gift in itself.<strong> If you ladies would like, I can email you our wine box ceremony that I wrote using different information I found online. </strong>
    Posted by littlemoments324[/QUOTE]

Yes please! You already have my email address :)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wine-box-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:3c194bee-6ca2-4e8e-bebd-75c9aa5538e7Post:e77d598f-e518-4c79-aa1f-a8194cd13417">Re: Wine Box Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]My godfather/uncle is making the box for us.  he is using the wood from an oak tree that stood in my front yard as a child growing up! So it has some sentimental value to it as well. 
    Posted by littlemoments324[/QUOTE]

That is so awesome! I just got mine on Etsy, but I love how you all made or found yours. Very cool.

LM, I just PM'd you, as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wine-box-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:3c194bee-6ca2-4e8e-bebd-75c9aa5538e7Post:3400a135-5e82-4e0a-82b0-4d380a95a26f">Re: Wine Box Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wine Box Ceremony : Yes please! You already have my email address :)
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

sent!
  • In Response to Wine Box Ceremony
    I have  never seen this. Could some one please gived me a clue?  We are getting married in door co. WI, our favorite vac. spot that we also buy our favorite wine at. It sounds really interesting just would like some information on it.
  • ceglare - Good idea to go to your local wine store to get recommendations for wine, because not all red wine gets better with age (I dated a wine buyer for Christie's for about a year and learned a lot about wine and am kind of a wine snob!). Talk to the wine guy (like, one of the owners, not the store clerks) because otherwise you'll be opening something super funky in 5 years. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Um... I probably sound stupid, but what is this? It sounds yummy!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    LM I think you have my email too, I'd love to get an idea of what can be said!
  • edited July 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards