Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid Dresses

Okay so I've emailed a picture of this dress to the bridesmaids/bestwomen in our wedding. I hope they like the dress, but I also hope that it looks formal. They have pretty low budgets, and I completely respect that, because weddings are expensive. FI has already stated his opinion of not thinking short dresses look formal. I want the dress to be something the girls could potentially wear again, and something that they'll like. So this is the dress. Do you ladies/gentlemen (I don't know if guys get on here) think that this dress is formal?
(I found it in misses and ladies sizes. They may be a tad different. I'm not sure if it's just the way the dresses are sitting on the manikin.)

Re: Bridesmaid Dresses

• Options
    How formal is your wedding? If it's black tie, for instance, then definitely not formal enough.

I think for a fairly formal or semi-formal wedding, the dress would be fine. I would not pick a dress based on how much they can wear it after the wedding though. Even though it doesn't scream "BM dress" it still may not be everyone's personal style or color choice. It is fine to have them wear it at your wedding, but I wouldn't hold my breath that everyone will wear it after. That's just how BM dresses are. The likelihood of finding one dress an entire group of women would purchase on their own to wear is very slim.

Have you gotten FI's input on the groomswoman attire? I typically feel the groom should have a say or choose the attire for his side of the wedding party. Make sure he is on board with her wearing the same dress as the BMs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I agree.  It wouldn't be appropriate for a black tie event, but it's perfectly fine for a slightly less formal wedding.

I would be very open to feedback from your BMs on this one.  It looks like a dress that has a lot of potential to be unkind to lumps, bumps, and curves (it would make my hips look like a boat). 

Another alternative is to give your BMs the color, a hemlength, and a timeframe, and let them get a dress that flatters each of them individually.  Non-uniform dresses are all the rage right now.  That will ensure that they get something that they'll wear again, as well as wear something that looks really good on them.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I think that the spandex, clingy look makes it less formal as well as the length- it's absolutely not appropriate for a truly "formal," i.e. black tie, event.  It might be appropriate for a semi-formal event, but even then I think I'd have to see it in person.

I wouldn't re-wear because I don't care for the color, but obviously people's mileage would vary on that.  In, say, a red or a purple, or even a darker blue, I would definitely re-wear.
  • Options
    Very few grown women can pull off a glitter dress like that without looking foolish.  It's just another thing to consider.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I"m looking at less formal dresses as well.  My main reason is because I want to do bright yellow - a color that neither lends itself to long lengths or satin.  That leaves me with few options.  The dress I am looking at is also spandex and short.  Another user on TK actually posted it and I may jump on the bandwagon.  I think it's slightly more dressy than the one you've selected simply because of the neckline.  Maybe it'll work for you?  Also - $36.  Yeah. Awesome!  I'm not 100% sold yet.  I've ordered on in my MOH's size to try out.  http://pinterest.com/pin/265149496782652851/

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Options
    I get the feeling that that particular dress isn't going to look so great in person. And as a plus-sized person, I can tell you that that dress would look awful on me.

Still, get the girls (or at least MOH and yourself) to try it on at their local stores and get back to you with their vote. You won't know for sure unless they try it on. If the store has a good return policy, order them online and then return them if they don't work out.

How much of a budget are your BMs working with? You may also want to try the websites of department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillards, and JC Penny. My BMs' dresses were from AnnTaylor.com and they were about $130 apiece during a sale. Overstock.com and Bluefly.com have pretty good dress selections.

Another idea is eBay. Sometimes a set of matching BM dresses will go on sale, either used at a wedding or by a bride who changed the dresses/canceled her wedding and needs to get rid of them.

Or you can pick a common designer (try David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo), pick a color you like, and tell them to get a dress anywhere they can - eBay, Craigslist, thrift shops, borrow from a friend, or the store itself. You may get a variety of styles, but you can make it a little more cohesive by specifying the fabric and if you want floor or knee-length dresses.

For example, I searched eBay and Craigslist for "David's Bridal Pool" just now and got a bunch of hits for $50 or less.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-dresses-31?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:940e1e26-bc34-4d53-a86c-6661833c39b0Post:324b8840-f2e5-40af-8e50-da71bc5861cf">Re: Bridesmaid Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I"m looking at less formal dresses as well.  My main reason is because I want to do bright yellow - a color that neither lends itself to long lengths or satin.  That leaves me with few options.  The dress I am looking at is also spandex and short.  Another user on TK actually posted it and I may jump on the bandwagon.  I think it's slightly more dressy than the one you've selected simply because of the neckline.  Maybe it'll work for you?  Also - $36.  Yeah. Awesome!  I'm not 100% sold yet.  I've ordered on in my MOH's size to try out.   <a href="http://pinterest.com/pin/265149496782652851/" rel="nofollow">http://pinterest.com/pin/265149496782652851/</a>
    Posted by Cryssteen[/QUOTE]
    Is this from fashionjunkee.com?  I just wore this dress (but blue) in a friend's wedding a couple of weeks ago.  Super comfy and I'll absolutely wear it again.  I actually ordered another color because I liked the dress so much.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Well I'm going with the girls to go try them on this weekend. They love the dress, but obviously people have different opinions on style, and that's fine. Thank you for your opinions!
    Smile
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-dresses-31?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:940e1e26-bc34-4d53-a86c-6661833c39b0Post:662eaf6d-72b3-4381-980a-eb4fa4f58fa4">Re: Bridesmaid Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Dresses : Is this from fashionjunkee.com?  I just wore this dress (but blue) in a friend's wedding a couple of weeks ago.  Super comfy and I'll absolutely wear it again.  I actually ordered another color because I liked the dress so much.
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes!  I think blue is beautiful.  Yellow, however, seems to knock it down in the dressy side.  But, I feel like I can dress it up w/ some accessories and shoes and stuff!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Options
    hi, i think it is not formal and i suggest you to buy other dresses.

I know one good site: JenJenHouse.com. I recently bought one dress from them.

It arrived on time as promised and seriously is amazing! I paid 100.00 for this dress and it looks like I paid 500 for it! So pleased with this purchase!

Also, recently they have an activity on their FB. You could go and have a look.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards