Wedding Party

Tiffany necklaces for bridesmaids

Has anyone given Tiffany pendants to your bridal party as a gift? Were they well received? I was considering gifting the girls with their initial, a floating heart, crown, or possibly the horseshoe on a necklace? I am already hosting a spa day for the girls (approx. $65-80 per girl), so this is an additional gift, and I need to be somewhat budget conscious. The necklaces would cost between $75-100 each. 

We are getting married on the beach in Cabo, and I just want them to know how much I appreciate them traveling such a long way to be part of our day. 

IF THEY CHOOSE, they could also wear the gifts on the wedding day, I really don't care what they wear as far as jewelry; the dresses are black, silk/chiffon, knee length, strapless, dresses.

Re: Tiffany necklaces for bridesmaids

• Jewelry for your wedding isn't a gift to them, it's a gift to you.  If you want to get them wedding jewelry, you need to give them something else as a gift.  And if you really think that anyone, including and especially you, will notice BM jewelry, you're kidding yourself.  Sorry to burst your bubble but a bride who micromanages her BMs' appearance down to the jewelry is not "low key".

And no, I don't think most grown women like initial jewelry, but some do.  They're your friends--is this the kind of thing they like to wear?
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Typically, I agree with the PP's assertion that jewelry isn't a gift, but I'd be pretty damn happy to receive a Tiffany pendant and I'd for sure wear it for more than the wedding.
    Photobucket
  • Ditto brooke.

I'm not a fan of wearing monograms.
  • If your friends like monogram necklaces then go for it, but I would only wear it for your wedding and would be very disappointed that you spent all that money on something I will never use.

Bridesmaid gifts don't need to match.  Shop like it is their birthday and take the words "wedding", "bridesmaid", etc. out of the equation.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • It's not really my style, but I would appreciate it, anyway. I would be annoyed if I was told I had to wear it, though. I mean, it's not really much of a gift if I'm being told when to wear it. I like picking out my own jewelry from my collection.

I would be careful, though. Some girls wear yellow gold better while others wear white gold/silver/platinum better. Other girls also have certain metal allergies. You should really concentrate on what your girls like and not on getting them matching jewelry so they can be matchy-matchy for your pictures or what ever.
  • Do your girls like that sort of thing?  If you're picking out something that YOU think would look good in YOUR wedding, rather than catering to their individual tastes, then it's not a good gift for your girls.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Personally, I don't consider jewelry as a gift if you're making them wear it for the wedding. I would never wear a silver pendant ever again, so it wouldn't be much of a gift.

When it comes to gifts, they should be personalized to each person, not some blanket gift that doesn't really show much thought as to who they are individually.
  • I actually have received two Tiffany gifts for being a maid of honor.

One was a pair of drop pearl earrings that I wear to most formal events. 
    that was in a bridal party of about 8 girls...but we all got other jewelry to wear as well and that was our gift.

Second was a Tiffany Citirine solitaire necklace that the bride gave to me, her FMIL, FSIL and the MOB.  I love it and wear it often, but it's definitely my style.  The MOB had a meltdown that day about wearing the necklace vs. her pearls.  No one noticed the necklaces, or that she didn't wear it.

I love both gifts and will probably do something similar for my girls, but pick individually.  I like jewelry as a gift because it's something that you can keep and remember. 

But I also don't care what they wear the day of the wedding.  So who knows what i'll do, because i don't want them to feel obligated to wear anything.
  • Jewelry is a very personal expression for people.  I was given a bracelet last month as a year end teacher gift.  The mom who picked it out thought it was beautiful.  I hated it and would never have put it on.  Fortunately I was able to exchange it for a bracelet I wear a lot now.

The point of that long story was:  do you KNOW that everyone wants an initial pendant?  Have you heard them all say that they want one?  (I would not wear it myself.)

The idea that you'll find a single piece of jewelry that will appeal to all of the women in your WP is pretty wishful thinking.

And, finally as PPs have said:  if you're telling them to wear it for your wedding, then it's not a gift for them.  It's a gift for yourself to complete the vision you have of what your wedding will look like.  And I do think that insisting on matchy-matchy jewelry is micromanaging.

What jewelry were the BMs wearing at the last 6 weddings you attended? You likely can't remember because iIt doesn't matter, although the wedding industry will do their best to make you think that such things are critical to the success of your wedding.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • If your girls all love initial necklaces, then great. (While I do love Tiffany's myself, it's more about the style you're buying them than the brand in this case since some girls might never want anything with their initial on it - just as some girls wouid never wear gold or pearls or you get the point...) Jewelry is very personal.

So while BM Mary might LOVE initial items, BM Susan might not. So get Mary the initial pendant and get something different for Susan. And don't mandate they wear them for your ceremony - otherwise it's not truly a gift to them since it's more serving your vision of how you want them to look. Nobody notices BM jewelry - I promise. Nor they notice if everyone matches. 
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • edited July 2010
    I'm actually tossing this idea around right now, too.  Except not with monograms or initials, but just a Tiffany style pendant.  There are lots to choose from.  Mostly because of the whole "jewelry isn't a gift" thing, but I think by giving Tiffany's jewelry it's kind of a double-dip.  I'm going to get them some cheaper earrings to match and then probably some candy or something else to go with it.  But yeah, I don't know TOO many girls who wouldn't be a little excited to get a little blue box :)  I know my girls would love it.  And you know your bridesmaids - if you feel like this is something they'd like, then go for it.

One of my future sisters in law gave Sex and the City "Carrie" style necklaces to her girls - necklaces with their names on them.  And I've seen them wear them on several occasions after the wedding.
    panther
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    The markup on Tiffany jewelry is absolutely ridiculous, and the silver monogram necklaces look like something you can buy at Claire's for a tenth of the price.  Even with the Tiffany stuff that looks nicer, you can still get the exact same piece for cheaper elsewhere.  All you're really paying for is that bluey green bag.

I have no idea what jewelry my bridesmaids wore.  Presumably all silver, since the parameters for the dress were "black with silver accents."  I'd have to go back and check the photos to know for sure.  I did actually get them necklaces: they were Scrabble tile necklaces I found on Etsy for a good price, with a definition of something that applied to each girl on the back of the tile of her initial (reversible).  I used them as tags for the actual gifts.  I didn't expect anyone to wear them, though a couple of the girls did (not for the wedding, but other times during the weekend).

Personally, I would feel AWFUL if a friend got me one of those necklaces, because I would have a pretty good idea of how much money she'd wasted on something that was destined for my bathroom drawer.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • If it's a gift, make sure that there's no condition that they wear it.

I do like Tiffany style items.  As a matter of fact, I'm wearing a necklace and earrings that DH gave me from there right now.

However, I'm really anti monogrammed jewelry so if you gave me a necklace of my initial, I might try to see if I could secretly exchange it.  I'd much rather get one of their beachy themed pendants.

• some people hate monogramed anything so i would be careful in buying jewelry for your bridesmaids.  Might want to do something that you know they would love... like shop for them like you were getting them a birthday gift. As one of the other ladies said, you would hate to drop that much cash and the gift to just sit unused in a jewelry box somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards