Wedding Party
Options

WP Book Club!

I love the idea of starting a book club!  Here's what I propose: One book a month-ish, and on the decided day we'll start a thread discussing it.  I'll choose the first one, and next month I'll pick someone else, then next month they'll pick someone else, and so on.  I might even whip up a badge for those participating to put in their sig.  If you want to bow out for certain months, you can, and just pick up again next time.

Sound good?  Any other suggestions?  I've never been in a book club, so I'm not sure exactly how they're supposed to work...

As for the first book, I've been on an Orson Scott Card kick, so I propose one of three:

- Ender's Game (a sci-fi classic)
- Enchantment (a modern twist on Sleeping Beauty)
- Empire (a very topical dystopia)

Which would y'all prefer?  And who's interested?
This is a neglected planning bio.
This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284

Re: WP Book Club!

• Options
    The middle one sounds the most interesting to me. I've never heard of any of them though....so I do think at least hearing about the books is great.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    I'm totally in!  I've read Ender's Game about a 1,000 times, so my vote is for either of the other two! Not that I don't love Ender's Game, I just would like to read/discuss something I haven't read yet.
  • Options
    I don't have a preference on book, but I'd be down with any of those.  

I'll play, I'll read anything.  I mean, I made it all the way through twilight.
  • Options
    haha, if you can make it through twilight, you can make it through anything!
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I voted for the second one, but I honestly don't have a preference.

I think this is a good idea, I'm really excited about it.

And it's true, if you can make it through Twilight, you can make it through just about anything, lol.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I'm in but I'll be picking up in two months when school is over.  Unless you guys want to read the Textbook of Medical Surgical Nursing?  No?  I didn't think so.  Am I still at least allowed to drink a glass of wine while I "enjoy" my book?
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wp-book-club?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:9aac9b71-c27f-4245-8596-4bf5eded2ae5Post:3bbaf5a9-945a-4fb7-a8fd-68ce9a61a7c3">Re: WP Book Club!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in but I'll be picking up in two months when school is over.  Unless you guys want to read the Textbook of Medical Surgical Nursing?  No?  I didn't think so.  <strong>Am I still at least allowed to drink a glass of wine while I "enjoy" my book?</strong>
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

<div>I sure hope so!  (That's how I got through the twilights.  Bottle/glass, same difference.)</div>
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wp-book-club?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:9aac9b71-c27f-4245-8596-4bf5eded2ae5Post:c6b6bbe6-fb46-4277-9409-8a586692b113">Re: WP Book Club!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WP Book Club! : I sure hope so!  (That's how I got through the twilights.  Bottle/glass, same difference.)
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I think I would need a bottle of tequila to get through Twilight ;)

JK. I'm sure there is a reason why it's very popular.
  • Options
    I woudln't be able to until after the semester ends (and wedding, moving, etc).  I used to read a lot of OSC though.
  • Options
    xoxo, we can go out together and enjoy the books...lol
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    FI is jealous of our bookclub, hehe.

Heck yes, Stina! lol
  • Options
    I've read Ender's game 1,000 times so I'd be in for 2 or 3!
  • Options
    Sounds fun- and may persuade me to change up my reading style.

Maybe BF will get me a Kindle. Otherwise it's all BN.com for me
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    Haha, I just told DH about our book club, and he voted for "Ender's Game", lol.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I read Enchantment a few years ago, it's a wonderful book.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    [QUOTE]Haha, I just told DH about our book club, and he voted for "Ender's Game", lol.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]
    Ender's Game is the book that got FI interested in reading.  There's no doubt in my mind that he'd vote for it as well.
  • Options
    DH also said that Ender's Game is great.....haha, computer nerd!
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    FI says he wants us to read Ender's Game so that I can read it to him. Oof.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wp-book-club?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:9aac9b71-c27f-4245-8596-4bf5eded2ae5Post:ed65f1b3-fd47-4b49-bd15-c08cc46e0eef">Re: WP Book Club!</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI says he wants us to read Ender's Game so that I can read it to him. Oof.
    Posted by xoxob[/QUOTE]

<div>I used to read Coraline to DH at bedtime. He loved it. Helped him fall asleep super fast!</div>
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    I read to FI at bed time often! It's just hard, it takes twice as long, cause he falls asleep and then doesn't remember the next night so we have to start all over again. It took us almost 2 months to finish "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" and it only took me a day to read on my own! lol
  • Options
    I am totally in with this. I don't have a preference at all. They all sound fab.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, DH always falls asleep before I get to the end of a chapter. He also falls asleep before the end of movies. Therefore, it takes FOR FRICKIN' EVER to watch an entire one.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Oh, I want in!  I'll vote for #2 although I'd be up for any of them.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    I like how the "men folk" are all voting for "Ender's Game", lol

• Options
    I think I was going for badge, then tried to change it to banner and only got halfway.  Now we clearly must have a badger as our club mascot.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    A badger reading a book! a book badger!
  • Options
    Badger! My dad has a life-size metal one in his garden in England...it's really cool. His wife got it for him for his birthday a couple years ago, and although it sounds random, it's actually the perfect gift because he loves the garden and likes badgers.

I'll book club whenever I can get the books...I'm part of a group of expat women, so hopefully someone will have copies I can borrow at least some of the months.
  • Options
    Man, I really want a badger in my siggy...but then again I want anything in my siggy.

The new Knot won't let me into my profile or siggy anymore...boo hoo...
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love it!  I'm in.  (It'll give me something to read to Taryn other than Mary Had a Little Lamb)

Mizri - I read the Boelyn series.  I loved it, but was rather disappointed in the movie.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yay!  Just ordered.  Should ship out Monday! 

I'll vote for the badger too :)
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards