Wedding Party
Options

NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions

Cake vs Pie

When FI and I initially began planning, one of the first things we decided upon was to nix the cake.  We don't like cake.  We don't want to have a cake cutting.  So we figured...no cake.  We DO like pie.  We like pie an awful lot.  I really don't ever update my facebook status unless it is to comment on my enjoyment of pie.  I like pie that much.  FI doesn't spread the gospel of his love for pie as loudly as I do, but he certainly shares the same appreciation.  Pie is great, guys.

So, here's the thing.  We went into this thinking "our wedding, our tastes.  Pie it is."  But I've learned things here.  Likely the most important thing I've learned is that we have guests, and those folks have likes and dislikes, too.  So I ask you ladies...would you care at all if you attended a wedding with no cake?  Would this be something that might cause you to think "hey, Mel and Todd, YOU may like pie, but I had notions on eating some cake tonight!"  Or, am I overthinking this?  When it comes to deciding upon dessert, can we make the decision based upon what we like, or should we also include the dessert which is most closely associated with weddings?   I didn't think this mattered, but now I have to wonder if it does.  We're planning on deciding upon 5-6 different flavors, with a mix of fruit pies, cream pies, and ricotta pie.  I have no idea how many pies we will need to accommodate our guest list, but I assume our baker can figure that out.  So...does this cover all of our bases, or should we still take steps to accommodate those who are perhaps not pie enthusiasts?  I'd be very embarrassed if we were to take our guests feelings and comfort into account every step of the way in our planning, and then find out that depriving them of cake was the thing that got the side eye. 

Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions

• Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    I've been to a wedding where they didn't have a cake at all.  I think I might have been the only person to notice and that's probably only because I'm in full on planning mode.  Are you having a sweet table as well?  Or some kind of other dessert?  Because in that case I think having pie instead is perfectly fine.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    FI also wanted pie.  (Side note, the pie was *hugely* cheaper and more tasty than any wedding cake options I found).

We did both cake and pie 'cause *I* really wanted to cut a *cake*.

I personally would not care as I guest if I were served cake, pie or anything else for dessert at a wedding so long as it tasted sweet.  :)  But then, I wouldn't really care if I were served no dessert at a wedding either, because I tend not to care too much about that sort of stuff.

So, I don't know, people get all upset over the stupidest things when it comes to weddings (I heard the other day that someone was offended that I registered at Macy's and not Bloomingdale's because it wasn't *expensive* enough.)  So in the end, you can't try to please the people that are looking to be offended.  But I think what kind of dessert you choose is well within the range of it really doesn't matter and it's totally up to you.

So I say, go with pie!  It's awesome, cheaper, generally tastier (than "wedding cake"), different and clearly more "you".
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:23943f50-f5f2-41b1-8de9-bc6694b1f1bd">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]What would stop you from having both cake AND pie?  I mean that's a win-win-win situation as far as I see it.
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

We could.  Our venue wrote the contract for us without cake, because we nixed it early on.  We could add cake back in (I'm fine with their baker) but then we'd have to rebudget to work the pies back in.  I think I'm just not wanting to make cake decisions...like what flavors, what it should look like, all that jazz.  I don't like cake so I sort of don't care about it.  But if the general consensus is that cake is expected and therefore necessary, I guess we could add it back in and I can steal a cake idea from one of your bios. 

Brooke makes it nice and easy Five!
  • Options
    bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2010
    You know we just went with a plain white cake with lemon filling (because we were not about to spend ungodly amounts on a CAKE) and it actually got rave reviews.  Maybe something like that so that you can "let them eat cake" but not turn it into a BIG DEAL.  Because it really isn't; the cake took about 5 minutes for us to plan/book.  We took a gamble and went with an online baker.  Paid off :)

That of course is assuming you decide to go with it.  I'm not going to vote strongly in either direction, I'm just saying that should you choose to add a cake, it doesn't have to make you crazy.

Would you be averse to cupcakes if they have a cutting fee?

ETA: Also, having a cake doesn't mean you have to have a cake cutting or anything.  You could just provide a sheet cake already cut up on the dessert table for people.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    Ia call n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:270257b6-d633-4c47-91d7-4cbdf767c8aa">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to a wedding where they didn't have a cake at all.  I think I might have been the only person to notice and that's probably only because I'm in full on planning mode.  Are you having a sweet table as well?  Or some kind of other dessert?  Because in that case I think having pie instead is perfectly fine.
    Posted by lalap69[/QUOTE]

We initially thought we'd have a sundae bar, but I've recently begun to wonder why we think our guests would want to have to "serve their own" anything.  I think after the age of 8, making things for yourself fails to be fun.  So I don't know.  Maybe ice cream?  I thought donuts would be delicious, too, but FI didn't match my enthusiasm on that one. 
  • Options
    As a guest, I would not be offended. Your party, your food. As long as there is plenty of food--including dessert--I would not judge.
  • Options
    I often don't eat cake at weddings anyways (sometimes I forget, sometimes I don't feel like it) and to me it isn't an important or sentimental part of the evening.  I wouldn't miss it if you just had pie, I think it's wonderful to customize your evening to suit you and serve things that you enjoy!  We will be doing cake (not an elaborate one) along with a sweets table that includes some of our "favourite things" - our favourite candies, mini chocolate bars, tarts, etc. to expose our guests to some of our favourite treats,
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:6636c8d4-be50-42f4-b525-14b019b947e8">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ia call n Response to Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions : We initially thought we'd have a sundae bar, but I've recently begun to wonder why we think our guests would want to have to "serve their own" anything.  I think after the age of 8, making things for yourself fails to be fun.  So I don't know.  Maybe ice cream?  I thought donuts would be delicious, too, but FI didn't match my enthusiasm on that one. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]
    I think any of those could be great,  though I worry about the mess with a sundae bar. 
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Just thought of something - some people like their pie a la mode.  What if you had vanilla ice cream and people could add that to their pie or just have the ice cream if they don't like pie?
  • Options
    Ditto PPs on not caring either way. I like that the dessert would be unique to you two as a couple. If all of your close family and friends know you don't like cake, then it would seem strange to me (if I were one of them) that you would have cake at your wedding. Having the pies would make more sense since you love pies so much.
  • Options
    The first part of your post reminded me of that scene in Michael where John Travolta's character (Michael) makes the girl sing about how much she likes pie in the diner. Now I have the song in my head.

Anyway, I don't like cake so I wouldn't care about pie being there. Then again I don't like pie that much either, unless it's a yummy cookie pie with tasty treats (not the traditional apple, cherry, whatever).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:5a548e31-2d19-451c-8201-32722500473e">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pie.  Pie.  Piiiiiiiiiie. I love seeing different desserts at weddings.  <strong>But then, we did those giant cookies from the mall in place of actual cake, so I'm biased</strong>.  If you're worried that people won't like your options, you could always go the dessert table route and toss a few more in.  Maybe just some plain mini cupcakes instead of a regular cake so you don't have to make too many design decisions.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

COOKIE!!!!
    The only thing better than cookies are giant cookies.  I like your style.

I think I'll take a bit of everyone's advice and smash it all together.  We'll keep a pie dominant dessert table, and add in other options for the anti-pie community.  Cupcakes and donuts (FI is crazy, donuts are delicious.  Especially jelly donuts.  They are a cake/pie hybrid that has been deep fried at some point in it's creation) seem like good options for those who don't enjoy pie.  With the ice cream (maybe) that should probably satisfy most dessert enthusiasts.  I think the worst case scenario is that I go home with lots of pie and donuts, and really, that's not a bad situation to find myself in. 
  • Options
    I prefer cake to pie in general, but this is definitely a case of your wedding, your way. If you provide me with a nice dessert option, I'm not going to grumble about exactly what kind of baked good it is - it's not like you're trying to feed me fish eyeballs because they're the traditional dessert of the random country where you and FI once took a backpacking trip that changed your lives, ya know?

Just serve pie, and enjoy it, or go with the whole dessert buffet because that sounds ridiculously good too.
  • Options
    I loooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee cake.  I don't really care for regular fruit pies, but if you had like a french silk pie, or some cheesecakes or key lime, lemon meringue, etc, I would be totally content with any of those options.

I like your idea of a dessert table...with cupcakes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:385dbeaa-2b51-4134-8db2-e502320c3f1e">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions : Can I come?

Sure, you can be my guestbook attendant.  It's an honor. 
  • Options
    I'd say this is a case of do whatever you want.

As long as you have enough pie, and a couple of varieties, serve all pie.  Or mostly pie and one cheesecake.  (I really just said that because I like cheesecake.)  

I don't think I know anyone that likes desserts that flat out doesn't like pie.  Sure, my stupid husband hates apple pie, but he loves kahlua pie, KWIM?  As long as there is a variety, most people will find something they like.  And if they can't, they can skip dessert.  It's not like you are serving pie as the entree.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:17741a31-ccea-4d37-a3df-e20428c13473">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd say this is a case of do whatever you want. As long as you have enough pie, and a couple of varieties, serve all pie.  Or mostly pie and one cheesecake.  (I really just said that because I like cheesecake.)   I don't think I know anyone that likes desserts that flat out doesn't like pie.  Sure, my stupid husband hates apple pie, but he loves kahlua pie, KWIM?  As long as there is a variety, most people will find something they like.  And if they can't, they can skip dessert. <strong> It's not like you are serving pie as the entree.  </strong>
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]
    Now that is a wedding I would want to attend.  Pie as an entree and cake as dessert. nom nom. :)
  • Options
    I loves me some yummy pies.  I'd be perfectly happy to be a wedding with pie.   Well now, I'll be stopping on my way home from a meeting tonight to get some pie.  What to get....what to get?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I wouldn't care what you served for dessert. I just like having something sweet and a cup of hot tea after dinner.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:7f5ed6da-61d7-4eed-bd77-351f8d0a13d2">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions : I'd rather be personal attendant.  I hear that's the highest honor you can give someone at a wedding.

I don't know, that whole "not really a bridesmaid but you can throw me parties and let me pick your outfit" deal from this morning sounded pretty sweet, too. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-but-certainly-would-love-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:b4d625c4-1fa2-4095-b820-8abe34144a55Post:f4bce106-dea6-46c1-95d9-46235a6a1e8b">Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWPR, but I certainly would love your opinions : I don't know, that whole "not really a bridesmaid but you can throw me parties and let me pick your outfit" deal from this morning sounded pretty sweet, too. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]
    ::Facepalm:: Of course!  I don't know what I was thinking.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    Now I'm craving pie.  Damn you, Mel...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards