Wedding Party

Who directs traffic???

We are having our wedding at our house and planning on asking my fiance's nephew to help direct the cars to the right places - what would this "part" be called? I'm completely drawing a blank here, please help!

TX!

Re: Who directs traffic???

• Honestly I don't think you should ask your FI's nephew to direct traffic.  You really should not ask family and friends to do jobs for your wedding. It's not an honor, but getting free labor. Put some easily readable signs up and call it a day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_who-directs-traffic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:c68a33a3-9e3a-448c-bb11-15ce316a7071Post:fcc714ea-5149-4e66-91ff-143495f6fe8e">Re: Who directs traffic???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly I don't think you should ask your FI's nephew to direct traffic.  You really should not ask family and friends to do jobs for your wedding. It's not an honor, but getting free labor. Put some easily readable signs up and call it a day.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

This.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2012
    How complicated is the parking area that someone needs to direct traffic?
  • You can always put up signs to help people know where to park if there's a specific parking area for them.  If not then your guests can figure it out.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The name for this part is "hired help and not a family member." 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Um, please hire a parking attendant.  This isn't a "fun" job and it isn't an honor, it's unpleasant work.  Just as you wouldn't ask your guests to help wash dishes to save money, you shouldn't be asking your guests to do this.

I live in one of the most expensive areas for weddings in the country, and it's still only like $100 to hire a parking attendant.  (My venue requires it, so I've looked it up.)
  • You can probably hire an off-duty police officer or deputy sheriff.  Around here, when hired, they are guarnateed at least 4 hours and there is a minimum required fee but I don't know what that currenly is.  Call your police department or sheriff's office and ask them about it.
  • Unless he is willing to do, and you pay him since this is work, I wouldn't ask.  
    Guests are there for the fun not to be put to work, 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is your neighborhood big enough to accommodate all the cars? I would first check (and it's possible you've already done this, but I'm just mentioning it in case you haven't) with the city and make sure you don't need any special permits to park that amount of cars on the street. I just keep thinking back to that scene in Father of the Bride!

Beyond that, if that's all OK, I would definitely not ask a family member to do this for free. If it isn't complicated, I don't think you need anyone directing traffic. If you truly think it will be an issue, then hire someone to do the job, like others mentioned--off duty cop, parking attendant, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Wow some of those were kinda harsh...first off, I wasn't going to ask him - he wanted to help. However, since this past weekend, my FI and I have already discussed just having the signs out along with some areas roped off. We have a big backyard where we will have family park. Sorry I asked.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_who-directs-traffic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c68a33a3-9e3a-448c-bb11-15ce316a7071Post:69267f60-58c1-428b-87e9-4e2fa8971054">Re: Who directs traffic???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow some of those were kinda harsh...first off, I wasn't going to ask him - he wanted to help. However, since this past weekend, my FI and I have already discussed just having the signs out along with some areas roped off. We have a big backyard where we will have family park. Sorry I asked.
    Posted by jbulmer4[/QUOTE]
    In your OP, you said you were planning on asking him.  Now you say that he actually volunteered without you asking.  We're not psychic, all we have to go on is what you say.  If that's not accurate, you're not going to get relevant answers.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards