Wedding Party
Options

Things that make you go AAAHHHHHHHHH.

I might have to scream (out loud, not just in my head) if I hear one more bride use the term "it's my special day" as justification for or in reference to why they feel it's okay to treat friends / family like crap.
The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013

Re: Things that make you go AAAHHHHHHHHH.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_things-aaahhhhhhhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:c81b242c-2474-4e40-92ef-94a9d03dcd65Post:19ec36b3-87d1-463a-8f14-e0f90c3b2fe8">Re: Things that make you go AAAHHHHHHHHH.</a>:
    [QUOTE]This.  When followed by the justification "weddings are expensive" or "because I don't want people getting drunk."
    Posted by gottahavashorti[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, yes. I'm not planning on getting sloppy at your wedding no matter what, and if I have to pay for it I'll still drink. I'll just be angry and leave earlier instead of being a happy drunk who parties all night :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_things-aaahhhhhhhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:c81b242c-2474-4e40-92ef-94a9d03dcd65Post:4786845e-a201-4970-8803-649cfb031e47">Re: Things that make you go AAAHHHHHHHHH.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and I have one more to add:  Every time a bride is told that she is not the center of the universe because she has a ring on her finger, that just because it's "her day" doesn't mean she can do whatever she wants, and that it's not okay to trample over friends and family because you can get away with it, someone pipes up that "these other 'ladies' are so rude--don't listen to them, hunnie, you do whatever you want, it's your day!"   UGH!
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh, this one really gets me. They sound just like that too.</div>
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think a lot of it is the Valentine's Day newbs, because I'm looking a post counts for mnay.  I hope that they'll listen with open minds and take to heart what's written.

I know it's hard to have what you think are brilliant ideas shot down, but I really admire the girls who come back and say "Thanks for the wake-up call.  You're right. I'm over-reacting/over-thinking/being dramatic.... etc."

It makes me feel good to know we've maybe helped someone look at their planning more realistically.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I agree totally!  I know I never post but I had to say something on this one!  Other people keep saying that it is "my special day"  I always think why would you say that?  First of all the day is not mine.  The day is a celebration for everyone to enjoy in.  Yes I am getting married but so is my FI.  That being said if people must use that phrase it should be "Our Special Day"!  Not that I really like that either!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_things-aaahhhhhhhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c81b242c-2474-4e40-92ef-94a9d03dcd65Post:ffde4025-fff7-4668-9131-4d8bfc4f2296">Re: Things that make you go AAAHHHHHHHHH.</a>:
    [QUOTE] Play the damn chicken dance for your grandpa.  Seriously.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Joy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I think it's easy to overthink/over-excite because so many movies, TV shows, and magazines make you think you HAVE to be stressed, like you're not doing it right if you aren't stressed while wedding planning.  It really is only as stressful as you make it, but I think brides think they're missing out on something if they aren't freaking out and need someone to hold their hands through this?

In the end everyone wants the same thing: a wonderful, perfect wedding.  What I have learned (and I had an inkling this was true before I got married, though I didn't fully believe it) is that the wedding is perfect no matter what happens.  As soon as I saw DH, nothing, but NOTHING, could bring me down.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  So I think it's so silly to be fretting about this stuff, which is why I give the advice I give, because I know they're going to feel very silly when it's all over and you never want to put yourself in a situation where you're apologizing for your wedding.  You want to be in a position where people are thanking YOU for being a part of the wedding, whether as a guest or member of the WP.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I can't stand when people misspell or misuse "fiance." HE is not your "finance" nor is he your "fiancee."
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I'm sick of "I want your opinion on x"

Then when 9 out of 10 posters say "Bad idea/rude/trust me, there's a better way":

"You're right, Knottie who said I should do what I want. As for the rest of you:
    Wow, you're all a bunch of nasty bitches. Didn't anybody ever teach any of you how to be polite? If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!"

Which, I must also add that I might have to hunt down and shoot the next girl that says "I want your opinion" and then closes the OP with "Please, don't respond if you're going to be negative. Kthx!"

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    "You don't know me."

It makes me think of that Avril Lavigne song, and I'm not an Avril fan.
  • Options
    "Whenever I was BM for my friends, I totally loved stuffing envelopes and taking 3 days off from work to help her decide what shade of blue the M&Ms in the favors should be. I guess I'm just a better friend than the rest of you."

"No wonder your BMs didn't help you, you're mean".

"Well, that may have been fine for your wedding, but ..."

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delete attempts where the title and/or text is changed to "deleted."  If it's deleted, why is the now edited post still there?

Edit: I guess that's not really an AAAHHHHH but it always bothers me because I think "no it's not."
  • Options
    But it is MY day. No one elses. All you other ladies that think you're getting married on that day, BACK OFF. I'll share the day with FI if he is good. Otherwise, who needs a bridal party and groom? I'll just stand up there by myself. Everyone can bask in the glory that is ME.

Seriously, I've shared plenty of stupid/tacky ideas on the knot, mostly because my family is a bunch of red necks who I do love dearly, but aren't ones for tradition and etiquette. I have the wonderful family and friends who would let me be bridezilla if I wanted, so it's nice having a place to go and be given honest answers. No one makes you sign up and post on the boards.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    but IT IS MY SPAYSHUL DAY!

Sadly, I am dealing with a bride like this in my life right now.  I want to rip her eyelashes out.
  • Options
    I really like reading the bewbie posts and then quoting them. I bet they feel real stupid when they try to delete their post and see that "OMG" you can't change other people's posts.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_things-aaahhhhhhhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c81b242c-2474-4e40-92ef-94a9d03dcd65Post:e9cb70c9-2d95-42ec-9dd9-d4af16faffda">Re: Things that make you go AAAHHHHHHHHH.</a>:
    [QUOTE]but IT IS MY SPAYSHUL DAY! Sadly, I am dealing with a bride like this in my life right now.  <strong>I want to rip her eyelashes out.
    </strong>Posted by duckie1905[/QUOTE]

I'm currently picturing what it would look like to rip someone's eyelashes out.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would prefer to pluck out the eyelashes one by one.....
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Some beebee on CC did one of those "Why don't you bitter old married hags go to The Nest already?" posts, and one of the reasons she wanted us to leave was "And I hate those girls that make an entire post just quoting the OP so she can't change it later. Maybe she wants to edit her words, and instead you people just want make her look bad! And you think the brides are 'being rude'?".

• Options
    I'm really sad I missed this, but I want to add the quintessential:

Bride: "I need some advice, is (insert horrible idea here) tacky?"

Everyone Else: "Yes, that is a terrible idea."

Bride: "Wow, there are so many MARRIED women on a site that's only for BRIDES.  Why is that?  Is it because you're all so UNHAPPILY MARRIED and can't move on with your lives?  HOW PATHETIC!!!!!111!!!1!"

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Yeah, I think it's really sad that some women are so insecure, either in themselves or their relationship, that they have such a problem with the whole strip club thing.  FI and I have a mutual rule of "look, but don't touch."  If I didn't trust him to stick to that, marriage would never have been on the table.  Simple as that.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Everytime I read a post that has, anywhere in it, "It's your day" I now immediately check the post count.  Yep, virtually every time it's under 20.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_things-aaahhhhhhhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:c81b242c-2474-4e40-92ef-94a9d03dcd65Post:74d460c1-0674-4468-85da-3bacdf06358f">Re: Things that make you go AAAHHHHHHHHH.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everytime I read a post that has, anywhere in it, "It's your day" I now immediately check the post count.  Yep, virtually every time it's under 20.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

<div>This especially bothers me when the OP is only looking for validation and instead of listening to the gazillion good responses from posters with some smarts they listen to the poster with 3 responses and the lone dissenter in the crowd.</div><div>
    </div><div>I want to shake the stupidity out of them.</div>
  • Options
    They're usually the same girls who approach wedding planning like they're preparing for battle.  I will never, ever understand that mentality. 
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    But, but, but you NEED to rally the troops....have your support system in place.....prepare for battle.....don't you?  Because after all, planning a party is soooooooo stressful!
  • Options
    Don't forget, ladies, "we should all stick together here".

Gag me ... maybe something was severely wrong with me, but I was very "independent" on the planning front. I don't even think it was because my sisters wanted to be "hands off", like I really just didn't want to have envelope stuffing parties, or 6 people with me when I went dress shopping ...

Although, I will admit, I'm very easily swayed by other people's opinions and I tend to believe in the "Too many cooks ..." philosophy. I figured the less people I involved with stuff, the less people I'd be trying to please.

• Options
    I think someone said, "We're not in a war.  I don't need to "stick together" with you as you plan your wedding."

• Options
    I forget who said it, but Aerin used to have it quoted in her sig. I thought it was the "most awesome thing ever", lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards