Wedding Party
Options

Gifts for Parents

Do you buy gifts for parents if they do not help pay for the wedding? Do you give gifts to the people who help pay for wedding and the bridal party? My mom gave us some money to help with wedding costs, but nor my future mother in law or father in law helped us.

Re: Gifts for Parents

• Options

Gifts should not be contingent upon money you received to fund your wedding. Gifts are for appreciation of the person.

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gifts-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:ce507a6e-4065-475d-8b54-ce7c9ddcb08ePost:4427411d-4fb6-4d4c-ad16-a7496c78ebba">Gifts for Parents</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Do you buy gifts for parents if they do not help pay for the wedding</strong>? Do you give gifts to the people who help pay for wedding and the bridal party? My mom gave us some money to help with wedding costs, but nor my future mother in law or father in law helped us.
    Posted by tpyrch[/QUOTE]

Yes. I think it would be pretty crappy to get a gift only for your mom and not your FILs, since that pretty much says that unless they give you money, they don't deserve your appreciation for everything they've done for your FI and you.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

My parents helped us with the wedding a bit, but FIL did not (he's not in a position where he can afford to do so - but he's always been kind to us and he was very supportive of our marriage, so that's what counts). We gave all three parents a small gift at the rehearsal dinner since they have raised and supported us for our whole lives, and we plan to get my parents something in the coming weeks as an extra thank you for their help.

We gave gifts to our bridesmaids and groomsmen. We gave $25 gift cards to our three readers and our two Communion bearers.

• Options

FI and I are paying for the bulk of our wedding ourselves but my parents have generously contributed some money as well. FI's parents were not in a position to contribute financially but they have contributed to our wedding celebrations by raising the man I am marrying and supporting our relationship / welcoming me into the family from the get-go. We'll be gifting each set of our parents with an album after we get all of our photos back post-wedding and they'll get a Thank You card to open at the RD with a message from us inside and a note about the gift-to-come.   What matters is the appreciation of the person / people - not whether or not they gave you money.

We are giving gifts to each member of the WP - BMs, GMs, FG and RB -  and will also be giving smaller gifts to our 2 readers (most likely $25 gift cards like mbcdefg also did).

The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    My parents paid for the reception. DH dad gave us money as we went along. DH mom (they are divorced) didn't contribute anything. We got them all gifts. My dad a gift certificate to omaha steaks, my mom this mother/daughter figure from willowtree something or other, and earrings. (i also paid for her hair/make up/nails because she's my mom and well, i wanted to). DH dad we got this beatles ornament (he's obsessed) that hallmark made in 1994, and were able to track one down. DH mom we got the same figure as my mom, only it was mother/son. They all loved the gifts.
  • Options
    We got my mom, my dad, and his dad each a $100 gift card (to her favorite hotel, Southwest Airlines, and their favorite restaurant, respectively).  My parents each kicked in for the wedding, his parents didn't contribute a dime.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Neither one of our parents are contributing a dime (unless you count the bottle of Scotch my dad wants to bring to share with FI's dad, and others I guess). We are planning on getting them all gifts out of appreication for being our parents and loving us, and raising us to be the people we are today. It has nothing to do with contributing to the wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards