Wedding Party

Suggestions for "getting ready" outfits?

I have gotten each of my bridesmaids a few personal gifts as their bridesmaids gift, but I know I definitely want to buy them a personalized getting ready outifts, but I can't decide what. I suggested embroidered hoodies because we actually wear hoodies and I feel like silk robes would look better in pictures but would really never get worn again.

There's also, like, snuggies or footie pajamas with animal ears on them. Our hotel is across the street from my venue so I think we'll just walk there. I'd like to have an option that the girls can wear all day. Any suggestions?
"So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
- all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Suggestions for "getting ready" outfits?

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    Meh, I would rethink this. What are you going to have embroidered on them? Most adults don't wear clothes with their names on them, so when would they ever have use for this again?Why do they need matching outfits to get ready in? If you want them for pics, it sounds like attire you want them to wear for a look YOU want, and that is not a gift for THEM.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ditto the other posters. I mean, if you really want matching outfits, order them, pay for them and do NOT include them as part of their gift. Just provide them the day before. It isn't a gift for them; it's for you.

Also, I will second that I didn't order a single getting ready picture. When it comes down to it, you will most likely want a picture of you and your BMs all dressed up than in matching hoodies or robes. And whatever you do, I would not do the footie pajamas!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Save your money. Anything you buy will be useless the day after the wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_suggestions-for-getting-ready-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e2c9a6ba-faf1-4e35-a2d3-594a4e570ac7Post:6c6d5b39-3e66-49a0-b156-29fffe1b0f5a">Re: Suggestions for "getting ready" outfits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Save your money. Anything you buy will be useless the day after the wedding.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>This. It's such a waste.</div>
  • Do you want to know how many "getting ready pictures" I have?  Zero.  Because honestly who really needs pictures of everyone getting their hair or makeup done or of people just sitting around waiting?  Yes, there are plenty of really adorable pictures in wedding magazines and on pinterest of brides and their BMs getting ready but like others have said, what are you going to do with those pictures?  I doubt you will frame them and hang them on your walls.  Really think about why you want these pictures and why you want to make your BMs wear matchy outfits.  Is it really for their comfort or just because you want one or two cute pictures that you will most likely never look at again after your wedding?

Save your money and just let everyone wear what they want.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_suggestions-for-getting-ready-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e2c9a6ba-faf1-4e35-a2d3-594a4e570ac7Post:a0aedcc0-99b2-446b-b574-2370abe94a71">Re: Suggestions for "getting ready" outfits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you want to know how many "getting ready pictures" I have?  Zero.  Because honestly who really needs pictures of everyone getting their hair or makeup done or of people just sitting around waiting?  Yes, there are plenty of really adorable pictures in wedding magazines and on pinterest of brides and their BMs getting ready but like others have said, what are you going to do with those pictures?  I doubt you will frame them and hang them on your walls.  Really think about why you want these pictures and why you want to make your BMs wear matchy outfits.  Is it really for their comfort or just because you want one or two cute pictures that you will most likely never look at again after your wedding? Save your money and just let everyone wear what they want.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>Maggie hits the nail on the head again. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_suggestions-for-getting-ready-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e2c9a6ba-faf1-4e35-a2d3-594a4e570ac7Post:a0aedcc0-99b2-446b-b574-2370abe94a71">Re: Suggestions for "getting ready" outfits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you want to know how many "getting ready pictures" I have?  Zero.  Because honestly who really needs pictures of everyone getting their hair or makeup done or of people just sitting around waiting?  Yes, there are plenty of really adorable pictures in wedding magazines and on pinterest of brides and their BMs getting ready but like others have said, what are you going to do with those pictures?  I doubt you will frame them and hang them on your walls.  Really think about why you want these pictures and why you want to make your BMs wear matchy outfits.  Is it really for their comfort or just because you want one or two cute pictures that you will most likely never look at again after your wedding? Save your money and just let everyone wear what they want.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  We're not taking getting ready photos either.  FI and I will get ready together in our hotel room and meet up with everyone else when they are ready.</div><div>If a bride handed me a "getting ready" outfit, my first thought would be "bridezilla"</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2012
    Lol, I would have lost my mind if I had to worry about how other people were coordinating their  dressing on the day of my wedding.  There was SO SO many things happening, and I was on an emotional rollercoaster that didn't let me externally focus very much.  I was very much just experiencing things.

This isn't a girl's night out where you stop and pose for cutesy wootsy photos, it's an immersive experience.  You will forget to do many things that you wanted to do on that day (some of which may or may not be caught by your party).  Don't pile random and useless items on your plate for that day that you expect yourself to remember.  Trust me, you won't.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• The only pictures I have of 'getting ready' are of me getting into my dress and my mom pinning my grandma's brooch on my dress, so it's really not as prominent as you might think.  

However, if you want to have a uniform sort of look in case you do get more pictures of getting ready, you mentioned your girls wear hoodies normally, so I'd get them each one in either the same color, or their individual favorite color and skip any embroidered personalizations.  This way, you sort of all look like a put together group, but it isn't overly cliche and your girls can actually wear them again (NO ONE will wear anything embroidered with their name, their BP title, or your wedding date ever again no matter how cute you think it is.  Which is fine if that's what you want to do, but really, if you're going to spend money on it, it'd be better if there's a chance it'll be worn more than an hour)

Anniversary
  • Skip any embroidery or personalization. If you want everyone to have "like" outfits, I don't see a problem with that. I would honestly go with a button-up or a full-zip hoodie. You don't want them to have to pull sweatshirts or shirts over their freshly done hair and made up face. As previous posters mentioned- do not include this as part of your gift to them.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2012
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_suggestions-for-getting-ready-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:e2c9a6ba-faf1-4e35-a2d3-594a4e570ac7Post:0e29e637-c8fc-49ed-a758-b93af1c1d533">Re: Suggestions for "getting ready" outfits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want to cry when someone gives me a monogrammed item.  I smile, write a nice TY note....and the item goes in the trash.  Embroidery can rarely be picked out, and my name is unusual, making a donation to Goodwill impossible.  It's wasted money. Not everyone likes having their names and initials on their stuff.  Makes me feel like a walking billboard.  It's also a security hazard.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I hear you Retread.  I feel the exact same way.  Monograms either make me feel like the world's biggest narcissist, or like I'm being stalked because random strangers use my name.</div>
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• If someone gave me footie pajamas with animal ears to wear all day while I prepped for a very adult event, I might seriously rethink my friendship with that person. My 18 month daughter barely wears footie pj's anymore. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only thing I'd be cool with would be a really comfy, simple robe. It would make it easier to not eff-up my hair and makeup. The gap sometimes has really soft ones, and if you can get one of thsoe 40% off coupons it could work. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards