Texas-San Antonio

Need help for Dec wedding

Hi girls,
I'm fairly new to SAT and planning a wedding for December 11 this year!  We can do it here and have to invite a lot more people (my fiance's lived here a long time), or back in NY where my family is, which would end up being less people. Still reveiwing guest lists, details, prices, etc.  That's where I could use some help.

We are on a budget of about $10K looking at 50-70 people, depending where we have it.  In the suburbs of NY(Long Island) I found a nice place for $65/pp with food and open bar, plus photo/video/DJ another $3-$4K.

How does this compare to places here. I feel like with so many people coming from out of town to San Antonio we should do it on the Riverwalk. (most would fly in Friday night and out Sunday morning). I've just started calling places and looking around but would love any advice from you all. What are the best venues and what do they run pp? How much for professional photographer and video?

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Need help for Dec wedding

• TTiger03TTiger03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not certain of the prices, but my sister's was at Hotel Valencia and it should be within your range.  My friend used Westin Riverwalk.  There are a ton of hotels on the riverwalk, so I'm sure you can find one that will work well for you.  The biggest issue for both of these was the parking.  The hotels usually have valet, but it can be expensive per car.

I think most of the hotels downtown charge a minimum food rate and the ball room is included (at least from what I've seen).  I think my sister's was $5000 or $6000 minimum.  She had 80 guests.  - That was not including the flowers, photos, cakes, etc.  I think my sisters was around 10-12K in the end.

Since your fiance's family has been here a while, why don't you ask them if they have been to any weddings downtown?

You might also consider a resturant on the riverwalk.  I'm not sure how they compare in price though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Little_Lily_9Little_Lily_9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!Smile
    I don't have any information regarding places right on the river walk.
    But I have visited some areas around the downtown area. So if you'd like more information on those places, I can email them to you.

I have several photographer suggestions too, but it really depends on the photographer style you like, and your budget.

Glad to have you here. Just FYI though, the SA boards are the knot aren't too helpful
    "If music be the food of love, play on ..."-William Shakespeare

imageMy Wedding Blog
  • TTiger03TTiger03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Little Lily,

I'm stuck on photographer.  I have a list of them I tried going through, but so far that's been my least favorite part of planning.

I'd welcome your suggestions if you know them to be good.  

The only photographer I know was my sister's and she didn't like him at all.

Thanks in advance
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

Having our wedding at the Club at Sonterra. Its not on the river walk but it is very nice and not very expensive and comes with alot including open bar, food, linens, dance floor, servers, and all that good stuff and the coordinator is awesome and always helpul!

• brideinsatbrideinsat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. My fiance's family doesn't live here actually so I just wanted to get some opinions from the girls. I've started calling around to compare pacakges.
  • edited December 2011
    Be careful of December 11th in San Antonio. Flights, hotel rooms etc are going to be much more expensive because of the Annual Breast Cancer Symposium Convention that is here every year during that time. Hotel rooms are going for upwards of $300 a night for a decent hotel.

Just really do your homework for that date. Minimums at some places might actually be higher because Breast Cancer Pharma companies spend a lot more money.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ooh, thanks for letting me know.
  • edited December 2011
    I would recommend checking into the event spaces that Boudro's has (Charles Court, Firewheel, the Wine Cellar, etc.).  They were too small for our wedding but they have some of the best food in San Antonio and the event spaces are gorgeous and unique. 

Biga on the Banks or Ritas on the River are also really cool options on the Riverwalk.  Our reception is going to be in the ballroom above Biga and we are doing a barge arrival, which I am so excited about.  Landry's has a gourgeous room upstairs that accomodates 50-70 if I remember correctly.  You have tons of options downtown with that size wedding. 

I agree with PP, you'll want to start immediately as lots of the great downtown spaces will be booked for company Christmas parties. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

Try the Double Tree loacted by North Star Mall. They have outstanding packages starting at about $40 per person and they include everything from the cake, food, alcohol, chamgane toast, appetizers, cake cutting, personalized wedding favors, linens, flower, and center pieces. They have the best wedding package I've seen in all of San Antonio! Give Michelle Platt a call to get more into. Or ebtter yet, check out their web site!

• edited December 2011
    Doubletree actually just changed all of their packages and they no longer include cake, toast, flowers etc like they used to.
  • Little_Lily_9Little_Lily_9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @TTiger03 for some reason the knot won't let me send you a private message. 
    What's your email adress, so I can email the info there directly

@ brideinsat I sent you a message to your inbox
    "If music be the food of love, play on ..."-William Shakespeare

imageMy Wedding Blog
  • RevDJRevDJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you do not have an Wedding Officiant yet, I would love to meet you and discuss my services with you. You can checkout my website at www.stardustceremony.com. Thank you!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Little_Lily_9 just saw the message in my inbox. THANK YOU for sending so mnay resources my way.

Even though there's the breast cancer symposium going on, II found a few places with availability Dec 11: Valencia, Mariott Plaza, Omni La Mansion, Hilton Palacio Rio.

Anyone have opinions on these venues? I'm not familiar with them since I haven't lived her that long.
  • PChefDonyaPChefDonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!If you need any help with your bridal shower I am a pampered chef consultant. We have lots of fun and its very inexpensive! If you have any questions you can visit my personal website www.pamperedchef.biz/donya">https://www.pamperedchef.biz/donya
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jenb1205 how are you doing the barge arrival? I'd like to look into that as well. Are you using the charter service or River taxi?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards