Wedding Party
Options

NWPR: Personal?

I have been very lucky in the fact that I have just fallen into jobs where I know someone(boss or coworker) before hand. I've actually never interviewed for a job.

I'm sitting here at my desk and my boss is giving a second interview. Side note: his office is 3 feet from mine and he is VERY loud. He just asked the guy what he needed to make per month to survive and pay his bills. Isn't that a bit personal for an interview? Just wondering.
Anniversary

Re: NWPR: Personal?

• Options
    Not really. I've been asked that before. I've read that it's a question to determine people's intent of longevity. As in, will you stay at this job for a while because you can afford to, or are you just desperate and will be moving on to something higher paying ASAP?
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think so.  Usually they just ask what they expect or want for pay and the person can say "$29k" or "$10.00 an hour"  That just seems a bit intrusive to me.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    Oh and to add something else, that's also one of the reasons why companies may run credit checks on you. It's just to see if you can afford to stay at the job.

Intrusive? Yes, but it is a common practice for a company looking to invest in a worker that will improve them in the long run.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Licia...interesting. Now I can be prepared for that in the future.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think credit checks are crap.  Why, because I have student loans that bring me down.  So someone can choose to hire/not hire me based on what I choose to spend my money on? What I do with my income is my business. What's their business is me showing up on time and doing my job. 
  • Options
    I totally agree credit checks are crap. But I've read articles about how they're becoming more common, especially in really high paying jobs.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dad saw on the news that if marijuana became legal, companies would probably still not hire people if they come up as dirty MJ's.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-personal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:e4b14e50-4f0c-4a87-8ed4-9d138524d1cfPost:a3e6136d-af20-46e8-8738-0502e52492d2">Re: NWPR: Personal?</a>:
    [QUOTE] if they come up as dirty MJ's.
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what this means, but I'm certain once I do, it will become my new favorite saying.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mary Jane smokers. 

It's just a way to call someone a pothead without outright saying "pothead"
  • Options
    Yeah, I think they are stupid but they can give a good idea of how responsible the person is.

My brother joined the Marines and got married within months of each other. His training officers actually pulled him aside and told him that he and his wife were spending too much too fast by buying a house, a car, etc. They changed all his bank passwords(so his wife wouldn't know) and told him they would be monitoring him. They threatened to not allow him to buy his house. There was some kind of rule in his contract saying that they had this kind of control over him until a certain age. Ick
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwpr-personal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:e4b14e50-4f0c-4a87-8ed4-9d138524d1cfPost:179038a6-4ffb-43cc-a4c8-5ddf714a5830">Re: NWPR: Personal?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mary Jane smokers. 
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

Now I have Tom Petty in my head...Last dance with Mary Jane. Everytime I hear that it gets stuck in my head.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Credit checks are very helpful when the position involves access to liquid or easily convertible assets (money or marketable equipment). Stress from bad credit is a major fraud risk. They aren't looking so much at the amount of debt you have, but how you handle it. If you are late on all of your payments, then you aren't getting a job as a cashier in my office. Sorry.

However, the Q you heard is sometimes used to guage how little you can pay someone, based on a scale (or not based on a scale). Its the same as asking, "how much would we have to pay to get you to come here?". As an interviewee, I would tell them that I would not take less than $X for the position as they have described it. You shouldn't tell them about your personal financial situation, but that question can be a good segway into you telling them how much you think you are worth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    That's it...I'm figuring out how to fit "come up as dirty MJ's" into as many conversations as I possibly can.

Love it.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lol.  Just start calling potheads dirty mj's.  Because they will come up dirty if tested!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards