Wedding Party

Bridal Party

Has anyone aked someone they didnt feel really close to to be in the bridal party?  I dont feel like I am close enough to anyone to ask them to be a part of the wedding.  What should I do?

Re: Bridal Party

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridal-party-23?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:eb9b79df-eb70-43f6-80e8-a953207ccdb1Post:bfeb2939-7026-47c0-8309-0ecf3ada7f63">Bridal Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone aked someone they didnt feel really close to to be in the bridal party?  I dont feel like I am close enough to anyone to ask them to be a part of the wedding.  What should I do?
    Posted by trixie0187[/QUOTE]

You don't need to have attendants if there's no one who comes to mind.  Your FI can still have people on his side if he likes.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'd rather have no attendants than ask people just to have someone standing by me.  I've read a lot of posts where brides had no wedding party and how much less stress/money it was.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • So save yourself a headache and don't ask anyone. Even if your FI decides to have groomsmen.

What sense does it make to ask people you're not close to, JUST for the sake of having some bodies up there? You're going to feel bad about it, you're going to have to spend lots of money on people you don't particularly adore, and you might run into problems with people because they're not your close friends.

And that headache is all for the purpose of not looking "weird," right? Who on earth would think it looks weird? Your guests will be people who love you ... they're not going to be sitting there and thinking, "Ew, no bridesmaids? Trixie must not have any friends," (if you had no friends, then why would people be attending your wedding in the first place?) or "Ugh, the lack of bridesmaids really makes this wedding look trashy/makes me enjoy this wedding a whole lot less." If people even stop to think about it (which a lot of people probably won't), they'll just be thinking, "Trixie must not have wanted to deal with the hassle of bridesmaids. Good idea."

The only reason you're even worrying about the lack of bridesmaids is because you're afraid of how it'll look or what your guests will think, right? Look ... nobody really cares who's in your bridal party. They are there to witness your marriage and then have fun at the reception. They're not there to criticize you. But if there DOES happen to be a crochety old sourpuss there who wants to look down their nose at you for not having bridesmaids, why would you want to bend over backward to impress such an assh0le, anyway?

Do what you want and don't worry about what other people think. If it doesn't hurt anyone, then it's none of their business.
  • Ali092011Ali092011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    If I went to a wedding without attendants, I wouldn't think anything of it. It's a personal choice whether or not you want bridesmaids, how many you want, who you want, etc. There is absolutely no requirement. There are big weddings with no attendants and small weddings with huge BPs. It's no reflection on you to have no BMs, and your wedding will still be special, beautiful, and perfect. :)

(Remember how huge Prince William's wedding was? And he and Kate only had a best man and a MOH.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited July 2012
    As PPs have said, you don't need to have a "bridal party" at all. Or you could ask one friend to be your Maid/Matron of Honor and that's it. But you don't need even an MOH if you're not comfortable with it. I'm not having bridesmaids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I completely agree with PPs, but all that said, I also think it's worth checking to make sure when you say there's no one you feel close enough to, that you're not excluding big groups of people.  Remember that it's okay to ask male friends or relatives to be in your bridal party.  It's also okay to ask your mom, or your grandma, or your aunts (or, if you want to go younger, nieces, your next-door neighbor whom you babysat, whatever)- it doesn't have to be limited to sisters and cousins, or people your own age.  It's fine if there's still no one you really want to ask- just remember that you're not limited to female attendants within five years age difference, like some people seem to think, you know?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards