Wedding Party

How do I handle a bride's destination wedding that's too expensive?

My friend recently got engaged and decided on a destination wedding that would be held a few days after this coming Christmas. In planning whether this wedding would be feasible, she checked prices that she thought would be reasonable for the wedding party and families involved. The prices for the actual dates of travel turned out to be quite a bit more and, only weeks later from the start of her planning, the prices have jumped incredibly. She believes the prices will go down after the summer when gas prices go down. I'm not sure if this would actually happen, but I have doubts that they would go down by the hundreds that they went up. My husband and I have also decided there's no way we could afford to send us both to the wedding. If I do go to the wedding, the ticket prices would have to decrease a lot, besides the fact that she picked a resort charging $400/night as the cheapest option. Since I wouldn't be going with my husband, I'm hoping to have one of the other bridesmaids or family members as a roommate. This would still be nearly $2000 for only myself to spend four days at a resort to attend the wedding. Am I the only one who thinks this is too much? I don't want to hurt her feelings because she's my close friend, but I don't know if I should scrimp and save for the next 9 months just to spend this much on someone else's wedding. Oh, and this is only travel and accommodations - this doesn't even include the money spent on a dress and parties/showers will have to host.

Re: How do I handle a bride's destination wedding that's too expensive?

• Sounds like you already have your answer...It sounds like it's too much for YOU to spend on HER wedding, and that's all that matters when it comes to your budget.  You decide the value of being with your friend on her wedding day.  If it turns into a monetary nightmare for you just to fly out, I would send her my genuine regrets; since you're so close, I might ask if there was a way to support her from home, like getting involved with her BMs in shower/bachelorette party planning.  That way you're able to stay close to her, hang out, and support her as a bride without eating Ramen noodles for the next year.  If you are very close, she will be sad if you decide not to go, but she should also understand that you have a family and a budget, and that not being at the wedding doesn't mean you care any less about her.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards