Wedding Party

New Years Eve Wedding

My wedding is planned for 12/31/2011. I am planning on having black bridesmaids dresses but I would like for them to be short dresses. My mom and her friends are telling me I am crazy for wanting my bridesmaids to wear short dresses in the winter time and after 6 p.m. If it was any other day during the winter, I would understand wearing long dresses. But since it is a New Years wedding, I think it would be fun for them to wear short cocktail party dresses. What do you guys think? I need some thoughts from other brides!!

Re: New Years Eve Wedding

• I don't see anything wrong with it, but I do think it would be wise to sit on this until the summer.  Picking dresses 14 months out is neither necessary nor a good idea.  What if someone gains/loses weight or gets pregnant?  

If they aren't comfortable with the idea, I think you'd need to change it.  I let my BMs pick the dresses--length, style, even color.  They looked fantastic.  No regrets here.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Cocktail dresses are perfectly fine, at any time of year.  The deciding factor is the level of dress of the entire event.  If you are throwing a black tie event, they need to wear long.  But if you are doing semi-casual, LBDs will be perfect.
  • Well I haven't decided on a specific dress nor talked to the bridesmaids about it yet. I don't plan to have them go to the store and try on dresses until probably next summer. I would like to go ahead and decide on the length now because I think it will make the dress selection easier when the time comes. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • If you do decide to go with black cocktail dresses, save yourself the headache and let them all choose their own.  It's so much more likely that they'll pick something they can wear again, and you don't have to worry about it.  
  • I frankly dont' see why or how picking the length now saves you any time on the other end, but if you say so...
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • My sister is in a New Year's Day wedding in a couple months and those bridesmaid dresses are wine colored, short, strapless, and very thin material.

She's disappointed I guess because aside from the dress not giving her any shape at all (her bride ordered them all online), the thin material and length are concerning to her.  January in ND is not fun to wear a short dress - no matter what the occasion.

panther
  • My BMs wore black cocktail dresses for my April wedding. Ceremony was in the afternoon but the reception was in the evening. But we had great weather, so the cold wasn't a factor.

Long dresses aren't an automatic must for evening weddings, unless they're really fancy. A good rule of thumb is to make sure your bridesmaids are dressed equally as nice, if not nicer, than your female guests will be dressed. Most female guests (in my age bracket, anyway) wore cocktail dresses ... if we had the type of wedding where female guests would wear fancy gowns, then my BMs would've worn long gowns as well.

Talk to your BMs and see how they feel. They may have a long/short skirt preference that might have nothing to do with the weather (comfort, hiding/showing off their legs, etc.). I told my BMs that they could pick the length as long as they both agreed on one length, and they said they were fine with either long or short dresses. If they had a preference I would've accommodated that.
  • I'm getting married this NYE and planned to have my bridesmaids wear short black dresses...things changed once we went shopping, but all the dresses are short. I wanted them to have dresses they each liked and (i know everyone says this) would wear again. One is wearing a short black dress from Davids, cute cocktail dress, maid of honor is wearing a short green dress (my accent color) and the third bm is wearing a short black and white dress w/ a green sash.
    It's NYE short cocktail dresses are fun!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards