Wedding Party
Options

BM dresses

Hi,

I've found that I really hate most bridesmaid dress stores.  What brand have most people opted for?  When I've gone looking, the samples always seem like cheap, bad, prom dresses.  So I'm just curious what others have gone with.  I want my girls to look elegant but I hate the idea of them spending $250 before alterations.

Thanks!

Re: BM dresses

• Options
    I went with AA, because they were in my BMs price range, there are stores all over the state that carry them (my BMs are spread out), and I wanted them to wear all the same shade of pink. FWIW, my BMs dresses there ranged from $90-$150+tax, and will probably need very few alterations (they are knee length so no hem, just a little taking in here and there) so no where near $250+ alterations. I'm also letting them wear shoes of their choice in a natural color, and hair/makeup are optional since I cannot afford to pay for them all. 

If you go with black, or if you don't mind color clashing potential, then yeah let them just pick them from anywhere. Give them parameters, such as black, knee length, sleevless, and then they can take care of it.

Be warned though, if you go this route, you really can't "approve" the dresses before they buy them. That sort of defeats the purpose IMO. As long as you give parameters, you should be fine. Now if a BM wants one with sleeves and you asked for no sleeves, then I'd say you can veto, but you can't complain about chiffon fabric if a certain fabric was not one of your rules, KWIM? 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    I went with Belsoie made by Jasmine, in that BM and I went the shop they picked out the dresses.  I didn't want cheap looking dresses either.  I think generally shiny ones look cheap.  I wanted them in different dresses so that gave us few choices, I also needed plus sizes which cut down my choices.  

If they are not plus sized try the mall.  

• Options
    You mentioned that you would hate to see them spend more than 250.00 for a dress.  Have you asked each of them privately what their dress budget is?  I think 250.00 is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    You need to start by asking them each, privately, what their budget is for a dress, including alterations, as PP have said. 

• Options
    We're getting ours offline. Promlee has a lot of great styles, at really great prices. My girls' dresses cost $85. I hear the quality is pretty good too. Wow, I just realized that sounds like I'm a vendor. Haha. Well, at any rate, I recommend looking online.
  • Options
    We are doing Davids, for the sake of convenience & budget. Ours are $120 with the discount for me getting my dress there...shoes were $60. My sister is my MOH an only 18, so I bought her dress and shoes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks.  I"m only having 3 girls, and none are worried about the price of a dress.  I love Watters dresses but hate the prices.  Unfortunately, weddings I've been in have all cost me about $250 for my dress after alterations.  I agree--it's too much.  Luckily they aren't as worried.

Thank you everyone.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bm-dresses-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:fa3a883f-17e1-46e3-b0e4-db4a4a63e164Post:c44c1730-81fa-4d8a-a2f1-103715e9364f">Re: BM dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks.  I"m only having 3 girls, and none are worried about the price of a dress.  I love Watters dresses but hate the prices.  Unfortunately, weddings I've been in have all cost me about $250 for my dress after alterations.  I agree--it's too much.  Luckily they aren't as worried. Thank you everyone.
    Posted by goodigirl[/QUOTE]
    How do you know they're not worried about the price of a dress?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards