Wedding Party

Bridesmaid budget

I'm looking for tips to keep my bridesmaid budget as low as possible for a winter wedding.  I have one bridesmaid who is on a strict budget, one fresh out of school (got to love student debt!), and my sister who is just coming off of maternity. 
I don't care about matchy matchy, so they can all wear different dresses in either the same colour of one of my three wedding colours, so that might make it easier to find cheaper dresses.  I'm just worried about accessories adding up - a winter wedding means winter boots and winter cover-ups.  Any suggestions on things to keep my bridesmaids comfortable in cold weather without costing too much? 

Re: Bridesmaid budget

• A girl I work with just got married and a budget like yours...she got all her bridesmaid dresses on a website called www.netbrides.com got all her dresses $60-90 cheaper than the bridal salon she was looking at. Not sure if you have one of these where you are at, but her jewelry she got from charming charlie store and they looked great! Im actually thinking of looking there for mine as well..good luck!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:fa3b2221-3bc9-4e6f-9b72-c8448bcd31dcPost:8b223c9e-2ef8-485e-b9bb-f735c8f184d4">Bridesmaid budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking for tips to keep my bridesmaid budget as low as possible for a winter wedding.  I have one bridesmaid who is on a strict budget, one fresh out of school (got to love student debt!), and my sister who is just coming off of maternity.  I don't care about matchy matchy, so they can all wear different dresses in either the same colour of one of my three wedding colours, so that might make it easier to find cheaper dresses.  I'm just worried about accessories adding up - a winter wedding means winter boots and winter cover-ups.  Any suggestions on things to keep my bridesmaids comfortable in cold weather without costing too much? 
    Posted by kerbohl[/QUOTE]

<div>If you choose the dress, ask them each privately for a budget before shopping.  Since you aren't that interested in matching dresses, I would suggest giving them paint swatches of the three colors you are using and asking them to find their own dress in one of the three colors.  That usually means they can find something on any budget, or wear something they already own or borrow something to avoid any costs.</div><div>
    </div><div>With the accessories, remember that if you require specific accessories and styling (specific shoes, wraps, or jewelry and pro hair, make up or nails) it is your responsibility to pay for it.  Otherwise, they are free to wear something they already own or borrow something, or shop with whatever budget they set.  </div>
  • I'm in a similar situation (winter wedding and student bridesmaids)- I'm just asking all of my bridesmaids to buy a dress in one of my colors, and they can wear whatever shoes and cover-up they want.  But, I mean, my wedding is indoors and I don't expect them to need to wear boots or jackets or anything indoors- they can wear whatever they need to to get over to the venue and then leave coats and boots in the coatroom and change into dress shoes.
  • I would suggest just picking one color (or color family, like shades of blue or whatever) for your BM dresses. While this does seemingly "narrow" the options, it is actually easier to go shopping when you have something specific to look for. I think it would save you a headache or two as the bride, as well. Smile

As for the cold, any winter wedding I've been to, the BMs figure it out when it comes to the shoe/coat situation. Most just wear items they already have, and take them off once inside and for the pictures.
  • I was in a wedding on New Years Day in Mass and didn't wear winter boots. We just rushed from the bus to the church/venue...They don't need to but specific boots or coats. If, by chance, the weather is gross. They can be adults and make a choice to wear what they have in and out and change into their wedding shoes before the wedding.

No biggie
  • Thanks for all the suggestions!  I am in Canada, and am expecting a ton of snow, but having them wear their own boots outside and then having "wedding appropriate" shoes for walking down the aisle seems like a good idea.  Maybe I'll buy them all a nice wrap for inside in case they get cold, and have them wear their own coats outside. 
    Myself, I'm thinking of just buying some nice winter boots and wearing them inside and outside.  I like boots, and not too many people will be looking under my dress . . . I'll just have to take them off for the garder toss!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:fa3b2221-3bc9-4e6f-9b72-c8448bcd31dcPost:8b223c9e-2ef8-485e-b9bb-f735c8f184d4">Bridesmaid budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking for tips to keep my bridesmaid budget as low as possible for a winter wedding.  I have one bridesmaid who is on a strict budget, one fresh out of school (got to love student debt!), and my sister who is just coming off of maternity.  I don't care about matchy matchy, so they can all wear different dresses in either the same colour of one of my three wedding colours, so that might make it easier to find cheaper dresses.  I'm just worried about accessories adding up - a winter wedding means winter boots and winter cover-ups.  Any suggestions on things to keep my bridesmaids comfortable in cold weather without costing too much? 
    Posted by kerbohl[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I'm sorry, but I am having a winter wedding and my bridesmaids aren't getting matching boots and coverups. What a waste of money.  This is something they will already have. If you are worried about pictures, they can wear their coats outside and then right before the picture take them off.</div><div>
    </div><div>You need to ask each bridesmaids seperately what their budget is.  If you aren't picky about the dress matching, go with each individually shopping instead of all going together so they don't feel pressure with the other girls there.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards