Wedding Party
Options

Need ideas for a role for awkward 13 year old!

Hey everyone!
My FI's younger sister is 13 and she is fully in the throes of being an awkward tween who turns beet red if you talk to her and hates being in the spotlight. I am hoping y'all might have some ideas for a role for her at our wedding because I really don't want to leave her out - FI's younger brother (will be 16 at the time of the wedding) will be a groomsman. I don't like the idea of a 'junior bridesmaid' because she'd be up there in front of everyone and my FI says he knows she will hate it. Is it tacky to ask her to hand out programs? Man the guest book? I feel like those might be things she would be more comfortable doing but I don't want to be rude.

Thank you for any help!

Lindsey
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need ideas for a role for awkward 13 year old!

• Options
    ask her what she would like to do.   maybe she would like nothing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-ideas-for-a-role-for-awkward-13-year-old?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:fe7bb328-feae-4808-8137-3dea19e16b4ePost:84f59a0f-bd3a-4ff6-bfe1-b7a70a8caf5c">Need ideas for a role for awkward 13 year old!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone! My FI's younger sister is 13 and she is fully in the throes of being an awkward tween who turns beet red if you talk to her and hates being in the spotlight. I am hoping y'all might have some ideas for a role for her at our wedding because I really don't want to leave her out - FI's younger brother (will be 16 at the time of the wedding) will be a groomsman. I don't like the idea of a 'junior bridesmaid' because she'd be up there in front of everyone and my FI says he knows she will hate it. Is it tacky to ask her to hand out programs? Man the guest book? I feel like those might be things she would be more comfortable doing but I don't want to be rude. Thank you for any help! Lindsey
    Posted by lindseymon[/QUOTE]

Are your guests really so simple-minded that they need somebody to show them how to sign a guestbook?

Let her be a guest. That's an honor too.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    My younger sister is also 13 and awkward, although slightly more outgoing than your gal sounds. I thought about having her as bridesmaid, but decided against it because I thought I could come up with something she would enjoy more. 

I ASKED her, but also came up with a few things she might like. 

She's an artsy type, and recently getting into playing the piano. 
    I suggested making graphics for the programs/invites/etc. or playing a song in the wedding. She chose the song, and she's now practicing for our unity ceremony music. 
    She's super excited about it and definitely has something to look forward to!

Just ask and consider her, I'm sure she's interested in something that could actually honor her and her interests and contribute to her wedding all at the same time!
  • Options

I see no reason why she cannot be a bridesmaid.  Awkward of not.  Maybe she won't want to, but I'd certainly extend the invite

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    SCogs18SCogs18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    My DH's half brother was 13 at our wedding.  He was thrilled to be a groomsman.  That being said, ask her what she is comfortable being and let her be that....even if it means she is just a guest.  Nothing wrong with that.

I will say, we had two program attendants.  Our church required them if we had programs and DH and my dad said programs were reallllly important to them.  It isn't exactly a fun job, but I made sure the two girls who did it were BFFs so they could at least hang out together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    Wow, did you really have to be a jerk? Is that really necessary?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-ideas-for-a-role-for-awkward-13-year-old?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:fe7bb328-feae-4808-8137-3dea19e16b4ePost:0946de58-ecdb-484e-a926-4d81bdbee8fc">Re: Need ideas for a role for awkward 13 year old!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Need ideas for a role for awkward 13 year old! : Are your guests really so simple-minded that they need somebody to show them how to sign a guestbook? Let her be a guest. That's an honor too.
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-ideas-for-a-role-for-awkward-13-year-old?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:fe7bb328-feae-4808-8137-3dea19e16b4ePost:efcd003d-a1f4-40f1-ba6c-2f052da061f7">Re: Need ideas for a role for awkward 13 year old!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, did you really have to be a jerk? Is that really necessary? In Response to Re: Need ideas for a role for awkward 13 year old! :
    Posted by lindseymon[/QUOTE]

Ziti isn't being a jerk she is being blunt.  And she is right.  Guests know how to sign a guest book all by themselves.  They do not need to have someone hold their hand.

Ask your sister to be a BM.  If she say that she doesn't feel comfortable then just have her come as a guest.  If I were an incredibly shy 13 year old I would not want to do any "special job" that deals with interacting with people.  I would rather just sit in the front row and watch the ceremony.

• Options
    If she chose to come as a guest you could give her a little wristlet corsage if you are doing that for other women in the family who are not in the wedding party. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards