Interfaith Weddings

Jewish Living Classes in Toronto

I'm a Chinese/Atheist and my fiance is Jewish/Agnostic. 

It was suggested to both of us from a Rabbi (not our officiant yet) that we take a Jewish Information Class to learn about the customs and ways. I'm fully on board with raising a so called "Jewish Family" if that means celebrating holidays and such, and I respect any dietary needs from the family. Doesn't mean I understand or believe in it, but I feel a lot of it comes from a historical and tradition/social perspective rather than religious (just like Chinese New Year and Christmas).

This course was recommended to us is pretty intense - with a midterm exam, take home assignments and a final exam. It's preperation for conversion, but we were assured that it's not required. The course material is really good however, I'm trying to plan a wedding and find a house, and not sure if I can afford 3 hours every week for a year + homework!+ stress!

Does anyone know of other, less intensive courses in the Toronto area? Tell me more especially if you've taken any. 

(on a side note: it's so odd that in order for me to participate in a Jewish Wedding Ceremony, it's recommended to take the course esp if we want a Rabbi, but what about the folks that are born into the Religion? I'll probably become more of an expert than they are!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards