Interfaith Weddings

Christian & Muslim Engagement

Hello Everyone,

So I'm recently engaged to a great man that I love deeply, he's Muslim... I have no idea where to start. I would love to have a Muslim ceremony as well as a small Christian ceremony with a reception. I want to involve both of our families... I need help!!! Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you in advance. 

Re: Christian & Muslim Engagement

• christycmcchristycmc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat. If you find anything out let me know... Vice/Versa..
  • gratzi4gratzi4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also in the same boat. We were planning on having the ceremony at the mosque but incorporate the exchanging of rings, lighting a candle to remember those who arent there and then add some vows that are inline with both. Then at the reception have the kiss and have a casual type of reception including the closest family/friends.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is Catholic, and I'm Protestant- not the same thing at all, but hopefully this will help.

What we're planning on doing is having a wedding service with my family and friends, then having an informal, non-canonical blessing by his priest. Rather than focus on the wider traditions, we're including some personal touches from each family- for example, my parents read a specific Bible verse at thier wedding that we're planning on using as well.

TBH, if you want a religious-based ceremony then the two of you are going to have to sit down and figure out what the most important traditions from each religion are for you to incorporate. In our case, FI wants "Ave Maria" to be performed in some way, which I have no problem with. I want to read that Bible verse. We're having a double-ring ceremony, though FI probably won't wear one after the wedding (that's more a cultural thing than anything else). My suggestion is to write a list of your absolute "must-haves", have FI do the same, then sit down with him and work it from there.

Good luck!
    "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."- Emily Bronte Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards