Interfaith Weddings
Options

Ceremony Advice!

I am getting married this coming up May.  I am Catholic and my fiance is Jewish.  We have decided to get married outside on a Golf Course to make things as neutral as possible.  The complicated thing is that we would like to integrate some of the Catholic & Jewish traditions into the ceremony (unity candle light, breaking of the glass, etc.)  Well, we are having a difficult time (or shall I say our families) with who will be marrying us.  A rabbi will be allowed to marry us; however, my family is very much against this.  So we were thinking to just have a non-denominational person marry us and have a rabbi and a priest there to give us a blessing.  But, who knows if this is even allowed!

I was wondering if anyone else is in or has been in this situation and what they did (or are doing)? 

Any help or advice will be great!

Re: Ceremony Advice!

• Options
    vgerunganvgerungan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the same problem last November (I'm Christian & he's Muslim) so we decided to have a non-denominational Officiant to perform the ceremony. I think she did a good job and performed a beautiful ceremony emphasizing on love, commitment & understanding without being  religious at all. Here's the site www.winecountryminister.com

Good luck :))
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I am planning a June 2012 wedding - I'm Catholic and fiance is Jewish. Luckily, our families are both pretty cool with us figuring out the officiant, location, and ceremony details ourselves. although i am just getting started, i found a GREAT book that spells out everything clearly and offers great ideas - "Celebrating Interfaith Marriages: Creating Your Jewish/Christian Ceremony" by Rabbi Devon A. Lerner (got it on Amazon). One really interesting thing i read so far that may help you: In the jewish tradition, the most important part of the ceremony is the exchange of the rings. In the catholic tradition, it's the vows. Alot of people who celebrate with a priest and rabbi have the priest preside over the vows part and the rabbi preside over the rings part. If you really would like to have both officiants, this little explination might make your parents and his both feel a bit better. good luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards