Interfaith Weddings
Options

Arabic/American Christian Wedding - In need of help!

I've dreamed of my wedding ever since I was a little girl.. Issom, my fiance, proposed and I was thrilled! I can't wait for our wedding and I can't wait to begin forever with him!

My fiance is Arabic. He does not practice any religion, but he does believe in God and agrees with Christianity. I was raised in a Christian household and sent to a private, Lutheran school my entire life.

My fiances parents do not practice any religion, nor does his family. My family practies Christianity - always have, always will.

Now, when Issom and I start planning our wedding and getting really exctied about everything, his parents and grandparents start to make a big deal out of us having a pastor marry us. They want us to be married by the Justice of the Peace, and then 'have a party' afterwards...

The thought of that completely breaks my heart...

To have my pastor marry us means everything to me and to my family, as he has married all of my sisters and brothers. My grandfather, especially, would be devistated. Issom wants to be married by my pastor, as well.

Both of us have always tried to make everyone happy our entire lives; putting our happiness behind everyone else's. Now, for our wedding, people expect the same thing. I refuse to back down to my pastor marrying us, and Issom stands behind me. The problem with this, is that some of Issom's family may not show up. I can't handle for Issom to be heartbroken when his family doesn't show up. Issom insists that I am more important and that if they don't show up that it's their loss and he doesn't care... I know that he does care, but I think he is just extremely frustrated at this point - as am I.

I have not slept since I found out about this issue and I cry over it all the time. I feel like I'm completely stuck and I don't know which way to turn...

If anyone has any advice, I'd truly appreciate it...

Thanks in advance...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards