Chinese Weddings

Does this happen to you? :P

When I drink alcohol, and I mean in any amount -- tiny as it may be, my face (and sometimes the rest of my body) turns RED. No exaggeration when I say that it's about the color is this boards background. FI and I were talking last night about having a signature drink in addition to beer and wine at our reception, and the thought crossed my mind that I probably wouldn't be consuming any alcohol. I'm not a big drinker anyway, so it doesn't bother me much at all -- I was just curious as to whether or not anyone else feels my pain. lol One guy in college used to tell me that he took pepto-bismol before he drank to keep the red color from being too crazy. I think I'd rather just pass on it. lol. :) lol, sounds funny, but I don't want to be red-faced in any of our wedding photos. It's [b]really[/b] not an attractive look for me... :P

Re: Does this happen to you? :P

• LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blame it on the genes, hun. I turn red too so I definitely feel your pain! I don't do anything about it though, I just let it be. I've definitely heard that taking pepto-bismol works. Give it a try sometime before the wedding so you know how you'll react.I don't plan on drinking at our wedding until near the very end. If anything, you can request your bartender to make your drinks very weak, and have your husband (yes, by that time he'll be your DH!) take a sip first to make sure.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I should have said your drinks only. We don't want everyone elses' drinks to be weak--boo to that!
  • edited December 2011
    hahaha -- I let it be too on all other occasions. I just would rather not have much of the photos from my wedding day turn out with me matching the color of my qipao. :P My mom is allergic to alcohol according to her physician... I wonder if I'm the same way. I get really hot and my face sometimes starts to itch, which can't be a good thing....lol. Plus, I'm not more fun when I'm tipsy -- I'm more sleepy. lol One time in college I had two woodchucks, and everyone else was being loud and playing games, they found me asleep on a chair... hehe I definitely have to try our signature drink, whatever it happens to be, so I'll think I'll have to give in towards the end of the night too. :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad is exactly like you; he'll get all red, itchy, and sometimes break out in hives. My mom's side is fine, so maybe because of her I just get red but not the itchiness. I totally get all sleepy too so it's going to be sparkling cider for me. We'll be so tired by the end of the day, no need to make ourselves red-faced and sleepy, hehe.
  • isyuwonoisyuwono member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hahahaha, same here. Just a tiny amount of alcohol would first turn my face red, then my whole body, from head to toe.... I'm not kidding.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very common among Asians. It's because most Asians lack a certain enzyme to digest alcohol. (Wikipedia can explain it better than I, if you look up "asian flush").Luckily for me, I don't seem to have this problem. I think I'm one of the few.I've heard that Pepcid AC works!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    LOL... Both the FI and I are Chinese and are lucky enough to escape the asian flush! But our brothers are not so lucky. Both of them turn bright red when they have a few sips!
  • edited December 2011
    Take a Pepcid tablet 1 hour prior to your first drink and you'll be set.  It probably won't combat the itching and hives though - I think you'll need to see a doc for that.  But don't abuse the Pepcid!  It's not very friendly to your body in the long run.
  • edited December 2011
    haha, thanks for all the tips! I'm jealous of all of you that are fortunate enough to not have the "asian glow" problem. One of my friends back in school used to have the problem, but drank all the time and you could tell how much he had been drinking by looking at how much of his body had turned red. lol, too funny. I might try the pepcid AC sometime just to satisfy my curiosity, but I'm going to try to just not worry about drinking till the end of the wedding. Sparkling cider [i]is[/i] delicious and I don't want to fall asleep! :P Hmm... I'm wondering if I take the stuff, how the hives and itchiness will play out -- I might just get itchy splotches of red around my neck rather than the whole face. Turtlenecks are cool, right? :P
  • ehchan0213ehchan0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely try the pepcid.  All the pharmacists I know do it. LOL.  My sis-in-law is in her final stage of pharmacy rotations and all of her classmates do it too.  In addition to them, the pharmacy technicians I met recently at a party all swear by the stuff.  I figure if they are all standing by it... it has to work!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards