Chinese Weddings
Options

Parasols....

Two advices needed...Any ladies using parasols for their bridesmaids? I'm thinking about them only because my venue is charging me quite a chunk of money for 6 rose bouquet and I feel like it's not worth it. I rather get their bouquets done somewhere else nicely for the same price.Second... my mom has issue using parasols because she says... the word "parasol/umbrella" sounds like the word "scatter/split" and that it wouldn't be a good thing...Your thoughts?

Re: Parasols....

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have to go with the venue's florist? If you want just roses, I've heard that Costco can do them for a very reasonable price.Can't really say much about the superstition... fortunately my parents weren't *too* superstitious. Chinese people have so many random hang ups about everything!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no outside vendor for florals... boo...I tried to be creative and ask for herbs/veggies or even crystal bouquets but were all denied. :T i know. my mom is slightly driving me insane!!!
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That really sucks!!I was kind of in a similar situation for AV. We thought about having an iPod wedding, meaning we'd have to rent speakers from our venue's preferred AV supplier. They were ridiculously expensive. Fortunately, my venue coordinator was actually on our side, and gave us the tip that if we hired some other vendor who happened to include speakers in their package (e.g. a DJ) then we could get around that requirement. It turned out that hiring the DJ was cheaper than just renting the speakers!At some point shortly before our wedding, our venue switched AV suppliers. I wonder if there is any loophole that will let you get an outside floral supplier. Otherwise I think parasols would be a good option... would your mom buy the argument that it will save you lots of money?? I'll try to think of some other bouquet alternatives!Be sure to be VERY vocal to your venue coordinator about how unreasonable their in-house florist's prices are, and why you are opting not to have flowers. If enough clients complain about them, perhaps they'll change!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually posted this question in an older thread. You should check out the answers.We are doing parasols, even after my mother in law noted that parasols and fans sounds like the word for "break up"But after talking to both of the MIL and FIL, they said it is an American wedding and no such silly traditions should be important. The point of the parasols are because it is a hot day and they are cheaper than flowers. And the hand fans are good decor for the seats and all the guests will appreciate the gift for the ceremony and it is engraved and they can keep it forever.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards