Chinese Weddings

Guests from HK?

I'm back from HK and had an AWESOME time! I loved everything -- thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I met my uncle (dad's older brother) for the first time while there because he lived in the area, and when I invited him to our wedding, he said he wasn't sure if he'd be able to come to the US because of the visa restrictions. Something about the government being afraid they wouldn't return? All my relatives seemed to think it was too difficult a process, not to mention that they wouldn't be able to afford the trip. Did anyone else's relatives have to go through the process of coming to the U.S. for a wedding? Were there any issues or things I should be aware of? TIA!

Re: Guests from HK?

• edited December 2011
    Not sure if it's the same for HK, but MIL's sister came from Vietnam. MIL sent her an invitation in which she showed the government as evidence of the wedding.I think the process was easier for her because she "works" for the VN government. She got the visa and stayed in the states for a couple months.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can find visa info for the US here:[url]http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1265.html[/url]My HK relatives have visited the US and I've never heard of any difficulty (but then again, this is the first time I've even heard of HK visitors to the US needing a visa). Visas can be difficult for Chinese nationals to obtain, but for HK residents I doubt it would be too difficult.That being said, here's a thought: it's a very long trip for the wedding of someone they don't even know, plus you said yourself that they can't even afford the trip. Could this be their way of politely declining the invitation? If I were you, I'd just let it be. You've already extended the invitation; if they want to come, they'll find a way. Otherwise just let them save face.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks you two, as always. :) He talked to my dad on Sunday and he asked me to see what was necessary as far as legal stuff and visas were concerned should they find that they can come or should my relatives help with costs. I'm practically a stranger to him, but my parents think it's a good way for him to get to see all the family at once that he hasn't seen in 30+ years (we're spread out all over the country). If it's a long process, I guess my uncle wants to know so they can start early.
  • seevictoriaseevictoria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think HK residents need a visa to travel US. I think for those people who has assets, business, a job with longer working history and family in their home place would have better chance to get a visa
  • edited December 2011
    My mom and 2 aunts are here for my wedding next Saturday. They arrived yesterday from Singapore and Sydney. My mom was ok without a visa (Singapore passport). But my aunts needed to get a visa since they have a Malaysian passport. The process was pretty painless. They just went to the embassy and got it.The flight on the other hand is pretty tiring. I travel for work, so I had enough miles to get business class seats for them. But 14 hours (11 or 14??) in economy can be very tiring. They are staying for almost 2 weeks, so it was worth it.
  • edited December 2011
    I do believe HK residents need to apply for a visa to go to the US.  They are afraid ppl won't return.It's easier if that person has a stable job and property or something that ties them to HK.  Also, having them bring a wedding invitation wouldn't hurt either.  It's still not a guarantee though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards