Chinese Weddings
Options

Did you create a registry?

Did you ladies create a registry?  I'm referring to two different cultures' traditions.

I know in the Vietnamese tradition, we don't use registries.  But I figured I'd do it for courtesy for the people who may be more comfortable getting a gift than sending cash.

As with those who had registries, did you include this information on your website?  I also know that some American traditionalists believe that registries should be strictly shared by work of mouth, typically by BMs or the MOB.  And I'm sure some Vietnamese people would equally frown on any mentioning of gifts anywhere on paper or on any website.  So I wasn't sure if you ladies also share this opinion?
Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Did you create a registry?

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a registry. But we didn't have a website. Surprisingly, some of my Chinese relatives decided to buy off the registry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I am not familiar with Vietnamese traditions, but for me -- I'm Chinese and I am expecting more cash than gifts from the registry -- we still registered at a couple of stores. It's fun. (: But really, we wanted to give people options in case they did want to use that information. We also have a mix of guests, so I don't think we won't offend anyone. We are planning on putting the info on our website but not on invites.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I created a registry, but because we're having a destination wedding...we're expecting more cash than actual gifts. Regardless, of what you're background may be...you can still create a registry. Who knows you might have a few people who surprise you and get you something off your registry rather than giving you cash.
  • Options
    StuffingStuffing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did create a registry, since not everyone was Chinese.  It was a small one, just to get people an idea what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Majority of our guests were not Asian so we did create a couple registries with not too many items on it for people who prefer to give gifts rather than money.  We also had a website and included the registry information.  With the majority of our guests scattered around all over the country, it would be difficult for word-of-mouth to work, especially since MoH and BMs don't know anyone lol.  I think it's perfectly fine to have registry info on the website, but just not the invitation (which we had our website url on it).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH is Vietnamese and I'm not.  We had 2 registries and DH told me up front that none of his family/family friends would buy anything from it.  He was right. 

I wouldn't put anything about a registry on the invite.  But I think it's acceptable to put card or something in the invite that has your wedding site information, and then put your registry stuff on the website. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    will47will47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think we plan on having one. We don't need much extra stuff anyway, so we'd rather get the cash. Not sure yet how explicit we plan on being about this fact, though.

My boss (whose wife is Viet) told me that they put 'red envelope style' or something along those lines -- not sure if it was on their website or on the invite or what, but he told me that all the non-Asian folks managed to figure it out.
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    will47, I totally understand what you mean.  Cash is so much better, even if people claim that gifts are more thoughtful.  I rather use cash to pay for their meals, and with anything left over, use it to buy what I need when it's on super sale.

Also, the red envelopes is called lucky money.  But the bride and groom would accept the cash with our without the red envelopes, just as long as it's covered in something like inbetween a card. :P
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah like the other girls said, you put the website link on your invite details card, and then when they go there they see the registry page, and if they choose to ignore it that's okay.
     I was at a Vietnamese/Chinese wedding with every culture of guests attending, and they actually put on the invite details card that "your presence is gift enough, but we do accept cash to help us on our way" I was shocked that they came out in the invite and asked for cash. But they are hella nice people and I am sure they didn't mean to sound money hungry. I gave them money, like they asked.
    Every wedding I have been invited to had some sort of etiquette mistake that seemed huge to me, but I am sure they didn't mean to insinuate anything. They are a big deal to me because I am looking for ideas for my wedding, and I notice these things.
    I am sure I messed up too. Like my wedding invites didn't have everybodies full name or any Mr/ Mrs/ Ms language anywhere on it. The only ones that have special text before their name is grandpa because in Chinese culture you don't just say his name or grandpa, you have to add extra words to show your respect.

I think the lesson is no one is perfect, and your wedding can have mistakes, and people who dont like it will have to get over it because it's not their wedding.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we created a registry at amazon.com- since not all our guests are Asian.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we didn't share our registry on our website or invitation.  It's not good etiquette to. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards