Chinese Weddings
Options

Tea ceremony timing?

I'm having a noon wedding and having trouble planning where the tea ceremony should be. Can I do my tea ceremony in my wedding gown at cocktail hour or afterwards during the reception. Does it matter if I wear a traditional chinese dress or my wedding gown? any suggestions?

Re: Tea ceremony timing?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    People on this board have different opinions and rules than I have & follow. But here is what I've been told from the elders of my family who are very traditional.

The tea ceremony has to commence BEFORE noon.

Because of that rule, I am splitting my ceremony over two days. My fiancee lives 2 hours away from me and have to travel. So we are doing the bride side on one day and the groom side the next day.

In my experience, I have never seen the tea ceremony done during the reception. It has always been done at home among close family members.

Should talk to your parents. See what they say & can accept/compromise with.
  • Options
    SmooPookieSmooPookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing my tea ceremony in the morning before the ceremony. Some friends of mine did their tea ceremony during cocktail hour where they changed out of thier wedding dress into the qipao and back into thier wedding dress for the reception. Some even did it during to the reception as a showpiece but it wasn't a full chinese wedding so the non-Asians enjoyed the ceremony.
  • Options
    calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Intresting. I was thinking of doing mine the day before, but I know my whole family would love to watch at the reception. Regardless, my FMIL is going to have the reins on this one. I'd hate to mess things up.
  • Options
    unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my sister did hers in the evening before dinner. none of my relatives seemed bothered by this. as well one of my close friends did the same. i was going to do the same for my wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards