Jewish Weddings
Options

Catering prices in NYC

I have my first meeting with a caterer tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and I have no idea how much money to expect to be spending on catering.  We're having a guest list of about 150 people, kosher (actual kosher not kosher-style), dairy, buffet.  My total budget is $20,000, but I expect that to change.  My dad is paying for pretty much everything and gave me a number without knowing how much things cost.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to spend over 50% of my current budget on food, and don't know if it would even get us what we want in terms of food. 
How much does kosher catering in NYC cost on average?  Even a ball-park figure would be a huge help.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: Catering prices in NYC

• Options
    every caterer is different and it depends what you are doing. Dairy and the buffet will help keep the costs down so that is good. I used a top glatt kosher ny caterer and had a sit down meat meal so my food budget alone was close to 30k, but there are so many different levels so don't let that scare you. 
  • Options
    ditto what Shirz said.  It will be a lot more affordable if you do dairy/fish over meat.  I have seen prices anywhere from ~$50.00 per person in Long Island to over $300.00 per person in Manhattan.  Mine was about $120.00 per person in 2008 (meat dinner).
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Who on LI does $50/person?  I would love to only spend that much.  I was quoted $100/person by the first caterer I met with and am really hoping to find something slightly less expensive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    I am pretty sure my friend negotiated around that price at their wedding last summer at Crest Hollow Country Club.  He is a VERY good negotiator though!
  • Options
    oh also, his wedding was on a Monday (holiday weekend), so that might have something to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards