Jewish Weddings
Options

Interfaith Ceremony

For those of you having an interfaith ceremony, i have a question.  We are only having a rabbi because FI is a non-practicing catholic.  Although it took us a while, we found a Rabbi to perform our wedding for only $700.  The only thing is, there is a certain part of the marriage vows that he won't say because FI is not Jewish.  The part where it goes "I am consecrated to you under the laws of Moses and Israel". (the laws of Moses and Israel is the part he won't say)  Just wondering if other Interfaith officiants won't say that either.  Thanks!

Re: Interfaith Ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If he knows Hebrew or Aramaic, he can change the words to make your ceremony unique to your situation. If your ceremony doesn't have any Hebrew in it, he can change the wording, too. My FI and I were at an interfaith wedding on the Connecticut shore recently where the rabbi did exactly that, in both the Hebrew parts and the English. He also worked with the ketubah artist to alter the wording in the ketubah to reflect the fact that the couple was interfaith, while keeping the English text as beautiful as it was before. It was a great job.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards