Jewish Weddings
Options

NWR: Mezuzah question

My Fiance and I just bought a house, so we are looking at mezuzahs.  FI said that he didn't think you were allowed to buy them for yourselves, it had to be a gift.  Anyone know if this is fact or fiction?  My FMIL offered to get us padio furtature as a house warming gift, but if mezuzahs have to gifts I'm going suggest that instead. 

Re: NWR: Mezuzah question

• Options
    ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had never heard that -- I know most people tend to get them as gifts, but I don't think you are forbidden from buying your own. You just sometimes need to order the kosher scroll separetly based on where you get the mezuzah
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely fiction.  If you are Orthodox, you're supposed to have one on almost every door in the house.  No one could count on getting that many as gifts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like some custom or tradition has informally become a rule; but your FI is incorrect. Everyone is commanded to post mezuzot in their homes; while it's nice to get them as gifts, if you don't then you must buy them yourselves.  For the most part, unless you are Reform or not very observant, each door way, except closets and bathrooms should get one. Just make sure they are kosher.  There are a few online stores you can get them through, if you are lazy like me.  If you see any priced too low, then they probably aren't kosher.  GL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards