Jewish Weddings

Rosh Hashonah dinner

ARe there any special Rosh Hashonah dishes that you are making or will be served at your dinner? I'm making chicken soup with matzoh balls for the first time and making a honey cake but not sure what to make for the main course. Any ideas for what is traditionally served?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rosh Hashonah dinner

• silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditional Rosh Hashanah foods are related to sweetness, abundance, and plays on words about New Years being heads and not tails - so for example, round challahs, apples and honey, pomegranates, and fish heads (ick). We'll be having round challahs with lots of dried fruit and chocolote chips, apples & honey (we went to Alaska for our honeymoon and brought back 4 different types for the occasion), and definitely pomegranates but we will be skipping the fish heads. Lots of people have chicken and/or brisket for a main course, I'm not sure what we're doing though (I'm a vegetarian, I'll let DH choose his meat). There are lots of really great kosher cookbooks with traditional Rosh Hashanah recipes - The Silver Palate, Kosher by Design are 2 off the top of my head. Also chabad, myjewishlearning, and epicurious all have Rosh Hashanah recipes. gl!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mom and mother in law cook brisket at rosh hashanah. Sometimes Turkey. I love kugel as well
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our traditional main course is a brisket. I'd be happy to share the recipe if you don't have one (I love brisket, but there really are some tricks to making it well so it's not dry or just kind of tasteless!). Before we sit down we have apples dipped in honey. Once we seated, we typically start with sweet and sour meatballs, though I have no idea if that's traditional or not! Then the brisket and a sweet kugle (our usual is made with pineapple and cinammon --yum!). I can't remember what else we have during the main portion of dinner. Dessert is usually an apple cake along with something chocolatey. Oh and wine. Plenty of wine :-)
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fave is candied carrots made with OJ, margarine and brown sugar. SO yummy!
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    On the table before the meal there will be apples and honey.. yum! Also sweet candied nuts (made with honey, cinnamon and dried apples). Mini kanishes (both pot and meat) and chopped liver and crackers... can't wait!Our meal will not be kosher... Main meal there will be matzo ball soup of course, brisket with a sweet tomato sauce, sweet nooddle kugel (w/cherries and raisins), and tzimis (carrots, sweet potatos) and stuffed cabbage. Desert will be an apple crisp... oh man I'm so excited!
  • edited December 2011
    We always have apples and honey and round challah.  Our traditional meal is: Chicken soup with knaidlechCabbage soupStuffed cabbageRoast turkeyBrisketRoasted potatoesCarrot and sweet potato tzimmesChallah stuffingVeggie
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We always had:[list][*]Apples and honey[*]Matzoh ball soup[*]Chopped liver[*]Gefilte fish[*]Brisket or a roast of some kind[/list]Honestly, by the time we got to the main course, we were already stuffed!
  • edited December 2011
    We aren't yet hosting our own dinners - can't wait to though.  After much family drama that would have resulted in two fairly secular dinners, I (without FI) will be having dinner with my rabbi and his family - they are usually good with having pomegranate or some new fruit and honey and apples galore.  I'm guessing we are going to have some chicken, perhaps matzah ball soup, and other dishes.  I also ordered some some honey cake loaves and a yummy apple cake for the festivities. I also ordered and sent a honey cake loaf to my fmil so that we'd have *some* kosher food for the holiday.  ;) Hope everyone has a wonderful new year.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, Molly,I'm making apple cake - it's light, fluffy and so yummy!  I'm using the apples we picked up while up in the Berkshires. Your honey cake and chicken soup sound delicious. D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards