Jewish Weddings

does FI where tallis?

Hi ladies,

I haven't been on in awhile, but just thought I'd ask you a quick question.  I'm meeting with our rabbi on wednesday to finalize the ceremony details and am going to ask him this question.  Did your FI where his tallis during the ceremony? I've seen some pictures where they do and some they don't.  
Thanks!
Jen
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: does FI where tallis?

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    no he didn't.  as far as i know, the groom wears a kittel (white robe) in traditional jewish weddings.  i don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a tallis if he wants though.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    From a custom standpoint, generally Ashkenazic Jews wear kittels, Sephardic wear tallit.  However, unless your rabbi is being super strict, whatever your FI is more comfortable with is fine.  My FI simply did not want to wear one, and frankly I was okay with that, so he's wearing a nice, white tallit I purchased for him.  We aren't, however like some folks doing, having the tallit draped over us - though it makes for a nice picture.

5 days here to and ready for it because I can't handle any more of the stress!  GL.
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think my FI is going to wear tallit because he is Sephardic, although I am not against the kittel idea. We think the picture of us both covered by the tallit will be great until it pulls down my veil or some lucky thing! LOL! I will just say this- don't be afraid to ask your rabbi any question! Since I am mixing traditions, I will go over with rabbi when we meet next month to get his final approval. slbriz34, you must be very excited!
  • edited December 2011
    Ha, when I'm not bombarded with a ton of last minute questions/confirmations, etc. from a ton of people (I think I sent out more wedding emails today than work), then I get excited, though I am anxious about pulling everything off.  Had last dress fitting Sunday and dropped it off to the cleaners this morning for pressing - and it looks great.  All the alcohol has been purchased, programs printed, etc., just waiting on the benchers.  So in all, I'm trying to keep my cool and waiting for the day.

The entire weekend will be packed - off Friday to run errands and do last minute stuff (purchased mat board for ketubah, so will pick up Friday and set it with foam backing for the signing), Saturday is aufruf and getting all my stuff to the hotel, wedding Sunday.

Hopefully, I'll get a non-pro pic forwarded to me so I can put up on my favorite (and one of the most helpful) board!
  • edited December 2011
    My husband did not wear a talit or kittel, but we did have the talit wrapped around us during part of the ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    My FH will not wear tallit for the ceremony. He will at his aufruf.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards