Jewish Weddings

Quick question

A thought that never occurred to me.  We are being married in a Conservative/Reconstructionist synagogue and I have read that there are certain rules about modesty and I was concerned about my dress as the one I chose is a halter style, so my shoulders would be bare. I did ask if I needed to buy another dress, but I was told that my veil that I will be wearing will constitute a proper amount of coverage.  I never thought to ask if the same standard of modesty applies to the bridal attendants?  

TIA

Rae

Re: Quick question

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It will probably be okay, but I'd check with your Rabbi to be sure.  You can always purchase some pashminas for your BMs to wear during the ceremony.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    While the focus is on the bride, all persons are in a house of worship, so I'd encourage you to get them shawls to wrap up for just the ceremony part.  I've done the same and have also told my guests to bring something - which they can discard later for the reception.  But if your rabbi has no complaints, then you don't have to; however, most I know tend to keep it consist across the board.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for your help.  I spoke to our Cantor, who will be performing the ceremony for us, tonight at Friday evening Shabbat services.  He said that the girls will need to wear dresses with sleeves or we will need them to have jackets or shawls.  My seamstress is coming over this weekend to go over some details for the alterations for 3 of the dresses and to discuss the veil I would like made.  I am going to talk to her about making shrugs for all the girls to wear during the ceremony.  Thanks for the advise!

Rae
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards