Jewish Weddings

Chuppah rental

Hello, I live in San Antonio, TX and I'm getting married in October.  Finding a chuppah to rent here is challenging since most people don't even know what one is!  Anyway, I have found a few wedding coordinators that will build one for me but they seem pricey.  Anyone have any thoughts/experience about what appropriate rental fees are for a basic chuppah including set up, etc.?

Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Chuppah rental

• edited December 2011
    i am making one out of a pop-up tent and cloth!

all a chuppah needs is a cover and four poles, easily done with 4 poles and a tallis
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also made mine.  A picture is below, and instructions are at this link.

If you're not up for that, you might check your local board.  This being an international board, few people are likely to be familiar with your local area.  In general, you might want to check with local synagogues and/or florists.

sakana1840, I thought I was the only one to use the popup tent route!  Well, mine was a popup gazebo.  I'd love to see a picture of yours.
  • edited December 2011
    I can't recall off-hand, but I did come across a website that would rent you the poles and sheet to have a chuppah.  The company suggested making reservations asap, as they book quickly (they mail it and when you are done, you ship it back). Try doing a google search for chuppah rental and see if perhaps you can come across it.  I think the price was in the $300s....
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a Jewish bride to be living in Austin and I totally hear you on this.  Are you affiliated with a synogogue?  I was about to drop $200 on chuppah poles that I found online until someone suggested that I contact our shul.  Turns out they have 4 different kinds of chuppah poles they rent out. 

You can also make your own chuppah.  Do a Google search and you will find tutorials.  You can do this for relatively cheap.  I've seen weddings where the chuppah was made of bamboo poles and white fabric.  It looked great.  You can also hit up these websites, which sell birch sticks to use as the poles -

www.naturesallinc.com/

www.nettletonhollow.com
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_chuppah-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:238cffe8-53d7-486a-87f3-dd558c9a14daPost:db30dba7-db5e-4a57-9793-0bcb146e5c3d">Re: Chuppah rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]I  sakana1840 , I thought I was the only one to use the popup tent route!  Well, mine was a popup gazebo.  I'd love to see a picture of yours.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

LOL i haven't made it yet! but i saw YOUR idea and that's what i'm doing cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE it
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_chuppah-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:238cffe8-53d7-486a-87f3-dd558c9a14daPost:f3236e42-1ada-46d8-9c71-d9899d3b3597">Re: Chuppah rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chuppah rental : LOL i haven't made it yet! but i saw YOUR idea and that's what i'm doing cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE it
    Posted by sakana1840[/QUOTE]Glad it helped!
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can make your own chuppah. There is no rule on how decorative it is. Our shul has one and we are decorating the poles with flowers (we could not put flowers on top...that was the original plan). I've seen some beautiful ones; but since our shul has one- it's another thing we don't have to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards