Jewish Weddings

Is your rabbi saying a blessing before your reception meal?

I'm reform and I was wondering if it is tradition for Rabbis to say a blessing before the food is served at the reception? I remember this at my bat mitzvah but can't recall seeing this at any of the Jewish weddings I've been to. Did you ask your rabbi to say a blessing?

Re: Is your rabbi saying a blessing before your reception meal?

• edited December 2011
    Our rabbi won't be attending our ceremony so we were planning on having fi's grandfather do it.
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is and he's a conservative rabbi if it makes a difference. It's just the bread and wine he's doing. We're going to do a short birchot after.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our rabbi did not attend the reception.  A guest (my former husband, actually) gave ha-motzi.
  • edited December 2011
    FI and i are doing ha motzi before the meal.  we are bensching with a small group at the end of the meal.

v.
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    my brother and grandfather did the hamotzi.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Seems like you are referring to hamotzi - if you rabbi is there, you can give him the honor, many choose to give the honor to a family member or pivotal close friend.  The rabbi who will marry us will be in attendance at our reception, however another rabbi - who has been instrumental to me - will be doing the blessing.  As we near the end of the reception, anyone who is interested will join on in benching, we are going to rely on both to lead it.
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandmothers did the hamotzi -- even though both rabbis were at the reception.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not doing a blessing, and Rabbi is probably going to leave after the ceremony.
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards