Jewish Weddings
Options

A Jewish Wedding for Saturday December 28

A bride -to-be expects to formally announce her engagement on Valenine's Day or on her parents' anniversary later this month.

She and her fiance expect to finish their respective fellowships sometime before or around Thanksgiving.

While she and her fiance aren't particularly observant Jews, they both would like to get married in a Jewish ceremony. 

She said she would be prefer to get married on a Saturday, she really doesn't like Sunday weddings . (I am not Jewish but most of the Jewish weddings that I have been involved have been scheduled for Sunday, since a Saturday wedding would have to be held sometime after sundown.) She has talked with the rabbi who would be the officiant. He said he would do it providing that the ceremony happen at least an hour after sundown.

(The bride -to-be has been looking at wedding dresses; the dress that she has fallen in love with is one of heavy satin with lots of lace and crystals, something that would be too heavy tot wear in late spring, summer or early autumn. As for "her wedding colors," she said that she is leaning towards jewel tones -- sapphire blue, emerald green and/or amethyst -- which would go nicely in the winter)

In this part of the country, sundown in late December would be around 4:45 p.m. The possible schedule for the day would cocktails beginning at 5:30 p.m., the ceremony at 6 p.m. (possibly later) followed by dinner, dancing and the reception.

I though I would run this by the board to see in anyone can spot any trouble with such a plan. There are a lot of wise people participating on The Knot and there is knowledge and comments are most helpfl

Years ago, I attended a Jewish wedding on a Saturday in December. While it was bitterly cold outside, there was no snow or ice on the ground. It was a very lovely wedding and everyone had a great time.

Again, if any one has any comments, suggestions or ideas, I would be most appreciative to read them. 

Re: A Jewish Wedding for Saturday December 28

• Options
    If the officiant will do the wedding at the time the couple have selected, then that's fine.  Obviously, no part of this wedding that involves guests should be outside at that time of year. I think that it makes sense to have the wedding in the winter when the days are shorter if they want a Saturday night wedding that isn't really late.  

The main problem I could see with it that you could pass on to this bride is that it'll be the weekend of New Year's, so people may be traveling or on vacation.  
  • Options
    Lots of Jewish weddings happen Saturday night, especially in the winter.  

The only problem that could come up is when you have observant friends or family that will not be able to be in pictures on Shabbat, or possibly not make it to the ceremony, depending on where they are coming from.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    My wedding was on a Satuday night at 6:30 pm in November.  Assuming everything is indoor's you should be fine.  The only thing to keep in mind is that it will be very difficult to do photos outside.  Even if you're willing to brave the cold, a wet or snowy ground, which is likely at that time of the year (at least in New England) could be an issue.  But I don't think that's neccessarily a deal breaker.  Mazal Tov!
  • Options
    Usuaully Chabad or even some black hatters do the chuppah outside. One of my close friends from high school had her chuppah outside on January 2nd... with snow on the ground. However, as you stated, they are not particularly observant, so I think the chances of them holding the chuppah outside are slim.

I would just bring a heavy coat in case.
  • Options

Make sure to check on whether or not the rabbi will drive on Shabbat.  If they do, great.  If not, you need to factor in their drive time into when the ceremony starts.  My fiancé and I met two rabbis we liked for our Saturday night, November wedding, but they did not drive on Shabbat.  Not only would we have been waiting for sunset, then another hour, we’d then need 45-an hour for the rabbi to leave their home and commute to our venue.  We finally found a reform rabbi who will drive, so we can begin as soon as Shabbat is over.

• Options
    I'm getting married on a Saturday in March and my timeline is similar to what you wrote in your original post. Our rabbi has no problem with performing the ceremony after Shabbat is over and he doesn't live far away from where we're getting married and can quickly drive over. The weather is something you need a backup plan for since it's December. We're also planning on an outdoor chuppa ceremony but can move it indoors if the weather doesn't turn out in our favor. You should be fine as well if you can do so. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards