Jewish Weddings
Options

Ketubah question

Hi there! I have a question about my ketubah. I had been planning on getting married by a rabbi, so there was no problem with the ketubah at my interfaith wedding (I'm Jewish, my FI is a heathen :). But now we have had to change our location, and couldn't find a rabbi here to do it (much smaller Jewish community). So now we're getting married by a generic interfaith officiant, a woman with the title of Reverend. But it's totally a "design your own" type of thing. I still want a ketubah, but can I even have her sign it since she's not Jewish? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ketubah question

• Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    According to Halacha (Jewish law) only your two witnesses need to sign the ketubah.  The bride, groom and Rabbi do not need to sign it.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BekkersBekkers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Rachiemoo! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto; plus, since you both aren't Jewish, the ketubah would really have no standing in Jewish law so in that regards, it doesn't matter who signs it.
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    edited December 2011
    slbriz, she said she was Jewish.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She's Jewish, but unless I misread, he isn't, so as an interfaith wedding, the ketubah wouldn't be binding - maybe on a Reform level, but not for the other "sects".  That was the only point I was trying to make regarding that and who could sign...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand, but she said she was Jewish, and you said "since you both aren't Jewish," so I was just correcting you.
  • Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-question-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:51d8296a-35d4-46eb-9f04-fd1c337f63adPost:f7ca79c0-e0db-408e-a107-73540934bdfb">Re: Ketubah question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand, but she said she was Jewish, and you said "since you both aren't Jewish," so I was just correcting you.
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]

I think she meant that inclusively they both aren't Jewish, not that neither of them are Jewish, know what I mean?  For the Ketubah to be "kosher" in Orthodox and Conservative believe, they <strong>both</strong> need to be Jewish.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-question-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:51d8296a-35d4-46eb-9f04-fd1c337f63adPost:293a4f7b-5fa3-4559-a657-9a05a1283126">Re: Ketubah question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ketubah question : I think she meant that inclusively they both aren't Jewish, not that neither of them are Jewish, know what I mean?  For the Ketubah to be "kosher" in Orthodox and Conservative believe, they both need to be Jewish.
    Posted by Rachiemoo[/QUOTE]

Oh, OK, Rachel, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards