Jewish Weddings

Bridesmaids at a Jewish Wedding?

Hi Ladies!

I'm getting married in Switzerland in May 2011, at a modern orthodox Synagogue. 

Swiss weddings don't have bridal parties, usually... especially not Swiss Jewish weddings. But my fiancé is American and we'd love to have bridesmaids and groomsmen. 

Trying to figure out how I can explain the bridesmaids concept to the Swiss Rabbi... how is the bridal party included in a ceremony in American modern orthodox weddings? Do they walk down the aisle, etc?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Re: Bridesmaids at a Jewish Wedding?

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yes I've seen bridal parties at Jewish and modern orthodox weddings.  Usually the bridesmaids walk down one at a time before the bride and the groomsmen before the groom.  In less religous / more secular weddings, the bridesmaids and groomsmen may walk down paired up together.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i think one way to explain the concept of a bridal party is that on their wedding day the bride and groom are like a king and queen.   one of the aspects of royalty is that they have a royal "court" that attends them wherever they go.  kind of like royal servants and friends (have you seen the movie or read the book, "the other boleyn girl"?  that's how i think of it).  the bridal party is a metaphor for that, so they preceed the bride and groom down the aisle as part of their duties as attendants to the king and queen.  

my thoughts.

v.
  • leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My ceremony is conservative but I have seen bridal parties at modern orthodox weddings as well.

A bridal party is also just like a little group of people to keep you excited, help you out when you have to do something, and want to celebrate with you, you can tell them that. :)
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

You might be able to find something on youtube or other media, so that he can understand.  But I'm sure he's seen enough tv and other things that he knows the concept of a bridal party - many do.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the responses-- 

I'm pretty sure the Rabbi will understand what the bridal party entails... I'm more concerned regarding how the modern tradition of a bridal party will fuse with an Orthodox ceremony. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards